Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
hp hp is offline

Default count how many times same names appear in a column

I have a column of names with patients who has blood transfusions . For
example Paul Smith with appear 3 times ie he had 3 units of blood transfusion.
What I need is total number of patients who has blood transfusion. The list
is about 1400 cells long.
Can anyone help please?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Check out the XL help file article:
"Count unique values among duplicates "

You can do this via filters or functions, your choice. For your example, it
looks like you will need something like:
=SUM(IF(FREQUENCY(IF(LEN(A2:A10)0,MATCH(A2:A10,A2 :A10,0),""),
IF(LEN(A2:A10)0,MATCH(A2:A10,A2:A10,0),""))0,1))

Note that this is an array formula, and must be confirmed using
Ctrl+Shift+Enter, not just Enter.

--
Best Regards,

Luke M
"HP" wrote in message
I have a column of names with patients who has blood transfusions . For
example Paul Smith with appear 3 times ie he had 3 units of blood
transfusion.
What I need is total number of patients who has blood transfusion. The
list
is about 1400 cells long.
Can anyone help please?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Use the following array formula:
=sum(1/Countif(RangeOfCells,RangeOfCells))

confirm the formula with Ctrl +Shift+Enter instead of just the Enter key