Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default how can I automate chart axes

I'm generating chi-square charts that are dependent of the degrees of freedom
and probability, hence each chart has a different shape. How can I automate
the scales to be dependent on individual chi-squared data series. For
example, if a series has DoF of 45 and I'm looking for a probability of 0.1,
then the x-axis has, say, a Min of 15 and a Max of 80, and the Y axix has a
Min of 0 and a Max of 0.08.

I'd rather not have to resort to VBA

Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Hi,

The scale min and max values can either be automatic or static fixed values.
If you want dynamic fixed values you will have to resort to vba.

Cheers
Andy
--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info
"Giles" wrote in message
I'm generating chi-square charts that are dependent of the degrees of
freedom
and probability, hence each chart has a different shape. How can I
automate
the scales to be dependent on individual chi-squared data series. For
example, if a series has DoF of 45 and I'm looking for a probability of
0.1,
then the x-axis has, say, a Min of 15 and a Max of 80, and the Y axix has
Min of 0 and a Max of 0.08.

I'd rather not have to resort to VBA

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

This web page explains how to use VBA to link axis scales to calculated
worksheet values:

http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/...nkToSheet.html

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

"Giles" wrote in message
I'm generating chi-square charts that are dependent of the degrees of
freedom
and probability, hence each chart has a different shape. How can I
automate
the scales to be dependent on individual chi-squared data series. For
example, if a series has DoF of 45 and I'm looking for a probability of
0.1,
then the x-axis has, say, a Min of 15 and a Max of 80, and the Y axix has
Min of 0 and a Max of 0.08.

I'd rather not have to resort to VBA

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Thanks Andy and Jon,

This was most helpful. Ironically though, I decided to keep the axes
constant so my students can see the evolution of Chi-squared as the degrees
of freedom are increased. As is, I can cover DoFs ranging from 10 to 170
without the curve busting out. For smaller DoFs (i.e, contingency tables)
I'll use a seperate worksheet.
I'll try Jon's code, but currently I'm in the middle of "orientation" - I
can't believe it possible that so many 18 year olds could congregate in one
place.

Giles