Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default protection ??

I have documents on a shared network drive. Is there a way to protect a
workbook from being modified by anyone but me. Read only still gives anyone
the chance to open it and modify it. Save As, Tools, password to modify
still requires a password to open it at all. Others need to view only. Not
edit. Appreciate any help.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Jan 2, 9:46*am, Terry wrote:
I have documents on a shared network drive. *Is there a way to protect a
workbook from being modified by anyone but me. *Read only still gives anyone
the chance to open it and modify it. *Save As, Tools, password to modify
still requires a password to open it at all. *Others need to view only. *Not
edit. *Appreciate any help.

Use Protection under the Tools menu rather than in Save As. While not
strong protection, it should stop most users.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Jan 2, 10:18*am, Terry wrote:
I have given it a password, but how does that kind of protection work?

There are 2 choices, Worksheet and Workbook protection. They are
separate and do different things.

Worksheet allows you to stop any changes being made to the data. Leave
all the cells Protected, which is the default state. There are options
you can see in the window that pops up.

Workbook protection allows you to stop them from creating/moving/
deleting sheets.

I could sit here and type up everything it does, but easier for you to
play with it, see what happens when you try to edit a cell or move a
sheet with protection on.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

Although its true that Read Only (with a password) still allows other users
to modify the worksheet, they can't save it back over the original file. So
in effect the original file is protected from modifications.
If that is good enough, you don't need sheet protection.
But if you use sheet protection remember that it must be turned on for each
sheet.

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire