Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Fit scores

I'm trying to 'fit' scores into a range between 60% and 100%; actual scores
range from 32% to 117%. Does anyone have suggestions on how to approach this?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

The following formula will do this:

=(A1-32)*40/85 + 60

assuming your actual score is in A1.

Hope this helps.

Pete

Sciguy wrote:

I'm trying to 'fit' scores into a range between 60% and 100%; actual scores
range from 32% to 117%. Does anyone have suggestions on how to approach this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Actually, this assumes that your scores are whole numbers in the range
32 to 117, not percentages, but I'm sure you can work out where to put
the factor of 100 to convert.

Goodnight,

Pete

Sciguy wrote:

I'm trying to 'fit' scores into a range between 60% and 100%; actual scores
range from 32% to 117%. Does anyone have suggestions on how to approach this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks for your suggestion - It got me started toward what might almost be
something I'm happy with. With a range of data I used simple functions to get
Average, Max, Min; these were used to get 'range' (Max - Min), and
'mid-range' ((max-min)/2+min)
Then my fudged % for each score was =midrange+(A1-Avg)/range/.4
The '.4' is the 40% between the minimum desired outcome (60%) and perfection
(100%).
This succeed in pushing very low raw scores into the low 60s, and very high
scores (over 110%) into the 90s.
Its not ideal but seems close.

Sciguy wrote:

I'm trying to 'fit' scores into a range between 60% and 100%; actual scores
range from 32% to 117%. Does anyone have suggestions on how to approach this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

=(A1-32)*40/85 + 60

The numbers were arrived at as follows:

32 - the lower value of your actual range
85 - the difference between the top and bottom of your actual range
(i.e. 117 - 32)
40 - the difference between the top and bottom of your adjusted range
(i.e. 100 - 60)
60 - the lower value of your adjusted range

It's a bit like converting Centigrade to Farenheit.

You can divide each of these by 100 (0.32, 0.40, 0.85. 0.60) if you
want to deal directly in percentages.

Hope this helps.

Pete