Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Opening read-only files on a network

At my office, we have a 20 MB Excel file that is read-only. ~150 employees
use it, many at the same time.

Many employees are saying the sheet runs and operates slowly because of the
large number of people using the file. Could this be true? I thought a
read-only file would be opened on the user's own computer, so the speed and
performance of the sheet wouldn't be impacted by the number of users. But I
could definitely be wrong.

Can anyone tell me how the file opens? Does the large number of users
impact performance of the sheet?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

First, I don't know. But your post looked lonely <bg.

I'd agree with your gut feeling that once the workbook is opened, it's in the pc
that opened it.

Can you test their claim? Next time someone complains about speed, open a copy
on your pc and see if it is indeed slow for you.

And here are a couple of sites that discuss slow performance. The first is by
Charles Williams and the second by David McRitchie:

http://www.decisionmodels.com
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/slowresp.htm

--

Dave Peterson