Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ken Ken is offline

Default Excel 2007 Graphs & Macros

I am running XP Pro sp2 and excel 2007.

I have a macro which runs through about 30 graphs and adjusts titles, axis
scales, etc depending on the data. Under excel 2003, this would take a few
seconds to run, but under excel 2007 it takes about 1 minute.

Also, when I try to move around the worksheet with these graphs, the program
bogs down and it takes a long time to scroll across the worksheet. I did not
have this problem with excel 2003.

Any ideas/comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Ken

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

MS have acknowledged that charts are a problem in XL2007. Slowing down is a
common complaint. For a hotfix see:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/938538
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Ken" wrote in message
I am running XP Pro sp2 and excel 2007.

I have a macro which runs through about 30 graphs and adjusts titles, axis
scales, etc depending on the data. Under excel 2003, this would take a few
seconds to run, but under excel 2007 it takes about 1 minute.

Also, when I try to move around the worksheet with these graphs, the
program
bogs down and it takes a long time to scroll across the worksheet. I did
not
have this problem with excel 2003.

Any ideas/comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Ken

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Ken,
The problems I've experienced with Excel 2007 and charting/graphing are much
the same as you've seen and actually with only a 1 minute delay in your case,
you're doing better than I am. I have (had - put it all back on 2003) a
package I put together for someone that deals with 400,000+ data points split
over 50+ graphs. Initially it took 10-11 minutes to finish in 2007 while
2003 would deal with it all in about 1m40s on a slower machine. The Hotfix
that came out reduced the time from 10-11 minutes to about 8 minutes for me.

One of the first questions I've been asking people who ask me if they
'should' upgrade to Office/Excel 2007 is how much charting/graphing do they
do? If the answer is anything other than "none" or "only every once in a
while" I tell them to stick with their current version for a while longer.
At least wait until SP1 is available and re-evaluate the charting performance
at that time.

"Ken" wrote:

I am running XP Pro sp2 and excel 2007.

I have a macro which runs through about 30 graphs and adjusts titles, axis
scales, etc depending on the data. Under excel 2003, this would take a few
seconds to run, but under excel 2007 it takes about 1 minute.

Also, when I try to move around the worksheet with these graphs, the program
bogs down and it takes a long time to scroll across the worksheet. I did not
have this problem with excel 2003.

Any ideas/comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Ken

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I should have also mentioned that some VB code I implemented in 2007, like
yours, is slower to run than in 2003. I created a User Defined Function to
fill some cells on a sheet with random numbers and it runs many times slower
in 2007 than in 2003 - and again, 2003 is running on a single-core processor
on a system with 1GB RAM with a lower clock speed than the 2007 machines (1
AMD, 1 Intel) with dual-core CPUs, faster clocks and each with 2GB RAM
installed.