Slimmyy

Default How do I copy and paste cells incrementally?

I am trying to copy and paste cells from one sheet to another. The problem
is that I want to copy every 5th cell in a column and place the data into a
new column in one-cell incremnets. Any suggestions on how to do this?

hi,
not sure how much data you have but.....
Hold down the ctrl key while selecting every 5th cell. use
the mouse to select.
then copy. when you paste, it will paste as a group ie not
spaces between.

I am trying to copy and paste cells from one sheet to

another. The problem
is that I want to copy every 5th cell in a column and

place the data into a
new column in one-cell incremnets. Any suggestions on

how to do this?
.

Slimmyy

I tried that and it qorks quite well. However, I have over a thousand
records to do this way.....each with 24 fields......is there a formula or
some type of way I can use the fill handle or something like that?

" wrote:

hi,
not sure how much data you have but.....
Hold down the ctrl key while selecting every 5th cell. use
the mouse to select.
then copy. when you paste, it will paste as a group ie not
spaces between.

Duke Carey

Using an empty column ADJACENT to your data:
1) in the same row as your first row of data type a 1
2) add 2 thru 5 in the 4 cells below the 1
3) copy those five cells and paste them down the rest of the column, all the
way to the bottom of your data. You should now have repeating sets of 1 thru
5
4) select a cell anywhere in the column of numbers
5) choose Data | Filter | Autofilter from the menu bar
6) you should see little drop down arrows next to the heading for each
column of your data and for the column of 1s thru 5s
7) in the 1-5 column, clikc the dropdown arrow and choose 5. This will
filter all your data so that every 5th row is shown
8) highlight all the displayed rows and copy
9) go to your other sheet and paste

" wrote:

hi,
not sure how much data you have but.....
Hold down the ctrl key while selecting every 5th cell. use
the mouse to select.
then copy. when you paste, it will paste as a group ie not
spaces between.

I am trying to copy and paste cells from one sheet to

another. The problem
is that I want to copy every 5th cell in a column and

place the data into a
new column in one-cell incremnets. Any suggestions on

how to do this?
.

Gord Dibben

Slim

In second sheet A1 enter this =OFFSET(Sheet1!$A$1,5*ROW() -1,0)

Drag/copy down Column A until you return zeros.

When happy, Copy/paste special(in place)valuesOKEsc

Gord Dibben Excel MVP