Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default recently used file list

I have this problem in both Excel and Access (but not word). I can't seem to
get the recenly used file list to stay set to 9 files. It always defaults
back to 4. When the administrator is logged into the computer, this doesn't
seem to be an issue, just happens when I am logged in. Any suggestions on
how to fix this?

Thank you.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Shari

The Excel and maybe Access MRU list number is stored in the Registry.

Would seem you have no permission to change Registry settings.

Get your admin'r to make the changes for you.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Wed, 6 Sep 2006 11:23:02 -0700, Shari
wrote:

I have this problem in both Excel and Access (but not word). I can't seem to
get the recenly used file list to stay set to 9 files. It always defaults
back to 4. When the administrator is logged into the computer, this doesn't
seem to be an issue, just happens when I am logged in. Any suggestions on
how to fix this?

Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I talked with the administrator and he wasn't able to quickly find which keys
to change. Do you know which keys needs to be updated or how to change the
permissions so users have access to updating through the program?

Thank you for your reply :-)

wrote:

I have this problem in both Excel and Access (but not word). I can't seem to
get the recenly used file list to stay set to 9 files. It always defaults
back to 4. When the administrator is logged into the computer, this doesn't
seem to be an issue, just happens when I am logged in. Any suggestions on
how to fix this?

Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Shari

For Excel the key is at

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\E xcel\Options

on right side screen find DefFileMRU.

Change the value from (3) to (9) by right-click on the key and Modify

I haven't been able to find a key for Access.

As far as changing permissions................StartHelp and Support
"permissions"

The admin'r must make the changes to users rights.

Gord

wrote:

I have this problem in both Excel and Access (but not word). I can't seem to
get the recenly used file list to stay set to 9 files. It always defaults
back to 4. When the administrator is logged into the computer, this doesn't
seem to be an issue, just happens when I am logged in. Any suggestions on
how to fix this?

Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I use xl2003, so this version number could change for you (it's 11 in xl2003).

Close excel
windows start button|run|Regedit

Backup the registry before you start (and be careful).

HKCU/Software/Microsoft/Office/11.0/Excel\Options
change: Option5 to 885 (hexadecimal)
and
change: DefFileMRU to 9 (hexadecimal or decimal)

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Dave

What does changing Option5 do for me?

Gord

wrote:

I have this problem in both Excel and Access (but not word). I can't seem to
get the recenly used file list to stay set to 9 files. It always defaults
back to 4. When the administrator is logged into the computer, this doesn't
seem to be an issue, just happens when I am logged in. Any suggestions on
how to fix this?

Thank you.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I'm not sure what bit controls this, but if I didn't change this, the checkmark
in front of the MRU option remained unchecked. (I guess that might not be a
problem for the OP, though--if it was already checked.)

IIRC, it went from 8c5 to 885 (hex)--with all my other options included.

wrote:

I have this problem in both Excel and Access (but not word). I can't seem to
get the recenly used file list to stay set to 9 files. It always defaults
back to 4. When the administrator is logged into the computer, this doesn't
seem to be an issue, just happens when I am logged in. Any suggestions on
how to fix this?

Thank you.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Surprisingly I was able to get into my regedit and looked for both of these
names and I don't see either one. The closest I see in Options95. There is
also an MRUFuncs that has 4s in the data - I tried changing those numbers and
at one point I got 5 entries in my recent file list in registry (but not in
Excel).

I also tried to find similar entries in Word since that works perfectly, but
didn't see anything related.

Thanks for all the help.

wrote:

I have this problem in both Excel and Access (but not word). I can't seem to
get the recenly used file list to stay set to 9 files. It always defaults
back to 4. When the administrator is logged into the computer, this doesn't
seem to be an issue, just happens when I am logged in. Any suggestions on
how to fix this?

Thank you.

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I am still trying to figure out how to fix this problem. I have been able to
modify my registry. Neither Option5 or DefFileMRU was in the Options
settings so I added them both as DWords and changed the values to the ones
below. There is still no change. I go into Excel and the recent used file
list is still set to 4 and will not keep any changes.

I'm ready to try the next suggestion :-)

Thank you for help.

wrote:

I have this problem in both Excel and Access (but not word). I can't seem to
get the recenly used file list to stay set to 9 files. It always defaults
back to 4. When the administrator is logged into the computer, this doesn't
seem to be an issue, just happens when I am logged in. Any suggestions on
how to fix this?

Thank you.

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I don't have any other guesses. You may want to make sure that you are
authorized to make/save changes to the registry.

Can you verify that you're logging on as an administrator?

wrote:

I have this problem in both Excel and Access (but not word). I can't seem to
get the recenly used file list to stay set to 9 files. It always defaults
back to 4. When the administrator is logged into the computer, this doesn't
seem to be an issue, just happens when I am logged in. Any suggestions on
how to fix this?

Thank you.

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I would say that I am not authrized €“ I also dont have admin rights. But I
am able to make changes to the registry that stay. I know I can change the
number of tabs on a new worksheet and that sticks. Do I need to try and get
an admin to log on and change the registry that way?

wrote:

I have this problem in both Excel and Access (but not word). I can't seem to
get the recenly used file list to stay set to 9 files. It always defaults
back to 4. When the administrator is logged into the computer, this doesn't
seem to be an issue, just happens when I am logged in. Any suggestions on
how to fix this?

Thank you.

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I would have guessed that the earlier stuff would have worked.

I guess it couldn't hurt to have an admin try it.

(I'd try editting the registry one more time, though--just in case.)