Gouden Willem

Default How change dimensions of data label text box in pie chart?

In Excel 2003, I can't seem to re-shape the data labels text boxes in my pie
chart. I can change the font and allignment of the text within the text box.
But, if the text defaults onto two or three lines, I cannot stretch the text
box out to get the text to stay on one line. Normally, you can pull on the
the little handles on the text box. Is there a trick to this that I don't
know about?
Jon Peltier

This is a deficiency in Excel's charting capabilities. The text elements
seem like regular text boxes, but you are unable to resize or reshape
them. Even VBA can't do this.

The workaround is to add a real text box with the text you want. To add
a static text box, select the chart, type the label, and press Enter. A
text box appears in the middle of the chart, with the text you've typed.
To add a text box that's linked to a cell, select the chart, press the
equals key, then select the cell with the mouse. A text box appears in
the middle of the chart, with the text from the cell you selected.

Move the text box where you need it, and format it as desired.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

Gouden Willem wrote:

In Excel 2003, I can't seem to re-shape the data labels text boxes in my pie
chart. I can change the font and allignment of the text within the text box.
But, if the text defaults onto two or three lines, I cannot stretch the text
box out to get the text to stay on one line. Normally, you can pull on the
the little handles on the text box. Is there a trick to this that I don't
know about?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
keen learner

Hi John, thanks this mail helped

However i need to be able to stretch the text I type so it diplays clearly
whn I copy the graph into powerpoint. Is there any way I can i can strech th
text ?

Gouden Willem wrote:

In Excel 2003, I can't seem to re-shape the data labels text boxes in my pie
chart. I can change the font and allignment of the text within the text box.
But, if the text defaults onto two or three lines, I cannot stretch the text
box out to get the text to stay on one line. Normally, you can pull on the
the little handles on the text box. Is there a trick to this that I don't
know about?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Jon Peltier

As I said, No. You cannot change the size of the label. You must replace it
with a textbox. The textbox can be resized in the expected way.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services - Tutorials and Custom Solutions -
http://PeltierTech.com/
2006 Excel User Conference, 19-21 April, Atlantic City, NJ
http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ExcelUserConf06.html
_______