Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How do I merge two cells without deleting data from the cell?

This worked perfectly, however, I now need to put a comma between the two
names - i.e. currently I have Smith John in one cell, and need Smith, John in
one cell. Is there a way to do that?

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote:

You can't, you can concatenate 2 cells into one by using a formula and
ampersand

=A1&" "&B1

however stay away from merging cells, always cause more problems than what
it's worth and layout wise you can get very close without using it. I have
never seen a power user using merging

Regards,

Peo Sjoblom

"Batmans_Wife" wrote:

I'm highlighting two cells in the same row, hitting format cells, alignment,
merge cells and I'm getting the error message, "The selection contains
multiple data values. Merging into one cell will keep the upper-left most
data only." I want to be able to make the two seperate cells one without
deleting anything and without having to cut and paste.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

As long as your original data is still there, you can use another formula:

=A1&", "&B1

If all you have is the cell with the result, you could use:

=substitute(a1," ",", ")

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Gord,
Is there a way I can specify so that the function will:
a) change the results from target cell to next door neighboring cell as values
b) Separate out each string as a line within the same cell, as if I had used
the alt+Enter option myself?

Thanks,

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

You can copy the UDF into a general module in your Personal.xls which will
make it available for all open workbooks.

You could copy/paste it into a general module in a new workbook, save that
workbook as an Add-in which you would load through ToolsAdd-ins.

I prefer the Add-in method so's I don't have to preface the Function with
the workbook name.

i.e. if saved in Personal.xls you must enter

=Personal.xls!ConCatRange(range)

If stored in the add-in =ConCatRange(range) is sufficient.

Gord

On Wed, 5 Nov 2008 06:22:00 -0800, rapid1
wrote:

Works perfectly Gord - and please excuse my noobness, but how do I make the
function available to all spreadsheets that I open without have to recreate
the function each time?

Ray D

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

Not without a User Defined Function like this one.

Function ConCatRange(CellBlock As Range) As String
Dim Cell As Range
Dim sbuf As String
For Each Cell In CellBlock
If Len(Cell.text) 0 Then sbuf = sbuf & Cell.text & " "
' for comma-delimited change above " " to ","
Next
ConCatRange = Left(sbuf, Len(sbuf) - 1)
End Function

Usage is: =concatrange(A1:Z1)

No blank cells will be ignored.

For similar methods with code see this search result from google

http://tinyurl.com/6ao6k4

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Wed, 6 Aug 2008 06:46:01 -0700, anthony561fl
wrote:

This works great. However, what if Im wanting to combine several columns, say
50 or 100 columns worth of data? Id hate to have to enter each cell name in
that formula. Is there a way to specify a range of columns or cells rather
than each one before and after ampersands?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

2. Change the de-limiter from " " or "," to Chr(10) and set the cell to
wrap text.

If Len(Cell.Text) 0 Then sbuf = sbuf & Cell.Text & Chr(10)

1. The function cannot copy anything to anywhere.

Functions return results to the cell in which they are written.

You can manually Copy and paste specialvalues to next door cell.

Gord

wrote:

This works great. However, what if Im wanting to combine several columns, say
50 or 100 columns worth of data? Id hate to have to enter each cell name in
that formula. Is there a way to specify a range of columns or cells rather
than each one before and after ampersands?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I highlight the two cell, ctr C, move to a cell to the right, Edit|Paste Special|Value only, and both cells are copied to the two cells where I move my focus. It just duplicates the two cells. It doesn't combine the contents into the one new cell

Hmmm,
Banned

Location: India

You can also copy and paste the one cell content to another cell and then merge together or use the Wrap text feature.

Junior Member

The fastest and easiest way to combine two or more cells in Excel is to use the built-in Merge and Center option. The whole process takes only 2 quick steps:

Select the contiguous cells you want to combine.
On the Home tab Alignment group, click the Merge & Center
Once you click Merge and Center, the selected cells will be combined into one cell and the text is centered
Other merging options in Excel
To access a couple more merge options provided by Excel, click the little drop-down arrow next to the Merge & Center button and choose the option you want from the drop-down menu:

I hope this helps!
Tim Paine