Alec Green

Default Column Chart with 2 values in each column

Is it possible to create a column chart, with 2 values within each column
for example Sales Target as the main column with Actual Sales (inside the
Sales Target) - If that makes sense.

I have tried a Stacked column chart but it doesn't give the effect I want.

Thanks

John Mansfield

Alec,

These charts might help:

http://www.pdbook.com/index.php/exce..._column_chart/

http://www.pdbook.com/index.php/exce..._column_chart/

----
Regards,
John Mansfield
http://www.pdbook.com

"Alec Green" wrote:

Is it possible to create a column chart, with 2 values within each column
for example Sales Target as the main column with Actual Sales (inside the
Sales Target) - If that makes sense.

I have tried a Stacked column chart but it doesn't give the effect I want.

Thanks

Colleyville Alan

"Alec Green" wrote in message
Is it possible to create a column chart, with 2 values within each column
for example Sales Target as the main column with Actual Sales (inside the
Sales Target) - If that makes sense.

I have tried a Stacked column chart but it doesn't give the effect I want.

Thanks

John Mansfield has provided you with a couple of column-in-column charts.
Here are a couple of variations:

1st variation - create a clustered column chart.
Get rid of the gray background and gridlines.
Double-click on series #2, set area to "none", but leave the border in
place.
Double-click on series #1, leave the area intact, but set the border to
"none".
On the Options tab, set the overlap to 100.

2nd variation: same as above, but when finished, select series #2 (the
"clear" columns).
Right-click on it and change Chart Type to line with marker.
Double-click on the line.
Set the Line to "none"
Set the marker to a dash and change the number of points to 15 (or more or
less to get the desired effect)

This 2nd variation leaves a dash in place of an entire column and is nice
for benchmark/actual comparisons. It has two drawbacks, it only works with
vertical column charts, not horizontal bar charts and the dash will not
resize if you change the size of your chart.

I mentioned this approach to Jon Peltier and he came up with an improvement:
change the graph type of series #2 to an XY graph. Add error bars and
format them. It is more complex than the first two and for horizontal
graphs involves deleting one legend entry and linking the graph back to a
dummy series. For those of you expert in chart building, this very sketchy
overview might make sense; for those of you who are confused, I cannot do
any better at explaining it as I am no guru and have to refer to the example
he sent me. But his method solves both problems.