Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default How do I enter a date typing 040906 and have it appear 04/09/06? I

I would like to format a cell so that I can just type in the numbers in a
date and have the cell display the date with the forward slashes added
automaticly! Example type in only 040906 and have Excel display 04/09/2006
in the cell.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

You cannot format a cell to do this.

Chip Pearson's site has event code that will look after the change as you enter
the numbers.

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/DateTimeEntry.htm

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 13:52:02 -0700, Stover
wrote:

I would like to format a cell so that I can just type in the numbers in a
date and have the cell display the date with the forward slashes added
automaticly! Example type in only 040906 and have Excel display 04/09/2006
in the cell.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default How do I enter a date typing 040906 and have it appear 04/09/0

Gord
Thank you very much for your quick response. I will not be frustrated now
and accept the fact that I can't format the cells like I wanted.
Stover

wrote:

I would like to format a cell so that I can just type in the numbers in a
date and have the cell display the date with the forward slashes added
automaticly! Example type in only 040906 and have Excel display 04/09/2006
in the cell.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

What you can do is to enter the dates into a column in the format you
wish, and then in another column a formula can convert what you type
into a proper date. At the end of data entry you can fix the values and
use them to overwrite the value you typed in.

Hope this helps.

Pete