iniakupake

Default quick way to copy-paste a formula linked to cells in another file

I need to fill in formula to a row of data (say File A) which is linked
to a set of cells which are stored in another file (say File B).

Something like this:
In Excel File A:
Jan Feb
Mar
Volume =[FileB.xls]a1 =[FileB.xls]a2
=[FileC.xls]a3

If the reference cells were on the same sheet/same file, I usually do
it by writing the formula in the first cell, then drag that formula
onto the adjacent cells to be filled, instead of putting the formula 1
by 1 into each cell.
Now, if the reference cells are not in the same sheet, the above
dragging method does not work & I usually have to input the formula 1
by 1 into each cell. Does anybody know any alternative quick method to
do it?

Thanks b4hand for anybody who can help

Rgds, aster

--
iniakupake
iniakupake's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=25031

Ian

It works fine in XL2002, though, if you let the original formula write
itself (by typing = then selecting the target cell) the resulting formula is
eg

=[Book2]Sheet1!$A$1

Copying this will not work as the cell reference is absolute. Removing the
two $ signs will allow you to copy with the references changing.
--
Ian

[...]

iniakupake

Hi Ian, thanks a lot! it worked fine, didnt realize excel put a "$" sign
automatically into the formula.

tks

rgds, aster