Hazeus

Default charts....x and y axis

I am trying to create a line chart with 2 lines alongs the same axis

the numbers are as follows y axis xaxis
series 1
series 2
3 185
20
3.5 165
50
4 145
80

there are more, but as long as I can do these I should be fine...when I try,
I cannot get teh y axis to be these numbers and the x axis are just 1 2 3 4 5
6 7 for each data point added...I know this is a long question....but any
help will be greatly appreciated...thanks
Jon Peltier

The line wrapping really distorted your data table.

Do you want the left column on the Y axis and the right column(s) on the
X? Charting is normally facilitated if the X data is further left. Also,
all series in a line chart use the same X axis values, and the values
are treated as equally spaced, even if they are not evenly spaced
numerically. So you may want to use an XY Scatter chart instead (which
can of course be formatted with lines connecting the points).

You don't need to rearrange the data even if it means more work. Try
this procedure.

Select an empty cell surrounded by other empty cells, and start the
chart wizard. In step 1 select XY Scatter for chart type, with whatever
subtype you like. In step 2, choose the Series tab, click on Add, then
using the selection boxes, choose the X and Y ranges and name for the
first series. Click Add again and repeat this for the second series, and
for as many series as you have to plot..

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

Hazeus wrote:
I am trying to create a line chart with 2 lines alongs the same axis

the numbers are as follows y axis xaxis
series 1
series 2
3 185
20
3.5 165
50
4 145
80

there are more, but as long as I can do these I should be fine...when I try,
I cannot get teh y axis to be these numbers and the x axis are just 1 2 3 4 5
6 7 for each data point added...I know this is a long question....but any
help will be greatly appreciated...thanks

knows too little

Have done all you suggested to solve my same problem of
data displaying with integers as x variable. But despite
following directions as best I can, the data refuses to
plot as a scatter chart. Help!

Hazeus wrote:
I am trying to create a line chart with 2 lines alongs

the same axis

the numbers are as follows y axis xaxis

series 1
series 2

3 185
20

3.5 165
50

4 145
80

there are more, but as long as I can do these I should

be fine...when I try,
I cannot get teh y axis to be these numbers and the x

axis are just 1 2 3 4 5
6 7 for each data point added...I know this is a long

question....but any
help will be greatly appreciated...thanks

.

Michael R Middleton

Be sure you are using the XY (Scatter) chart type.

Be sure all data values are numeric, not text. If even one X value is
non-numeric, the XY (Scatter) chart may revert to Line (category labels on
the horizontal axis: 1,2,3,...).

One way to fix: enter 0 (zero) in a cell, copy the cell, select the cells
containing
the chart data, and choose Edit | Paste Special | Add.

- Mike

Hazeus wrote:
I am trying to create a line chart with 2 lines alongs

the same axis

the numbers are as follows y axis xaxis

series 1
series 2

3 185
20

3.5 165
50

4 145
80

there are more, but as long as I can do these I should

be fine...when I try,
I cannot get teh y axis to be these numbers and the x

axis are just 1 2 3 4 5
6 7 for each data point added...I know this is a long

question....but any
help will be greatly appreciated...thanks

.

Jon Peltier

You can save a keystroke by not entering the zero, as a blank cell will paste
special as a zero value.

XP and 2003 notice cells with numbers that are formatted as text, and show the
little green triangle. Everyone claims there were no compelling reasons to upgrade
since 2000, but there are lots of these little things.

- Jon
-------