Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Dr. Darrell

Default Instead of a negative number, I'd like to show zero...

I have created a virtual timecard. Everything works good except, if I havent
filled in all my time in and time out cells, my result is a negative number.
I would prefer that the result is blank unless there is a whole number.

My structure is as follows:

Cell C14 Clock In Format h:mm
Cell D14 Clock Out Format h:mm
Cell E14 Clock In Format h:mm
Cell F14 Clock Out Format h:mm
Cell J14 Total Hours Formula =SUM((D14-C14)*24,(F14-E14)*24)

The result of my efforts are as follows:

When €“ Scenario # 1

Cell C14 Clock In 6:45
Cell D14 Clock Out Blank
Cell E14 Clock In Blank
Cell F14 Clock Out Blank
Cell J14 Total Hours -6.75

When€“ Scenario # 2

Cell C14 Clock In 6:45
Cell D14 Clock Out 12:00
Cell E14 Clock In Blank
Cell F14 Clock Out Blank
Cell J14 Total Hours 5.25

When€“ Scenario # 3

Cell C14 Clock In 6:45
Cell D14 Clock Out 12:00
Cell E14 Clock In 12:30
Cell F14 Clock Out Blank
Cell J14 Total Hours -7.25

When€“ Scenario # 4

Cell C14 Clock In 6:45
Cell D14 Clock Out 12:00
Cell E14 Clock In 12:30
Cell F14 Clock Out 16:00
Cell J14 Total Hours 8.75

I don't want the negative numbers to show in the Total Hours Cell, instead I
would like:

In Scenario # 1, I would like Cell J14 to be Blank
In Scenario # 3, I would like Cell J14 to be equal to that of Scenario # 2.

I have tried several variations of IF statements, and Ive yet to type in
the correct syntax.

Can someone direct me down the right path?

Respectfully,
Darrell

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ian

=IF(D14=0,0,IF(F14=0,(D14-C14)*24,SUM((D14-C14)*24,(F14-E14)*24)))
If D14=0 then 0, else if F14=0 then D14-C14 else your original formula.
--
Ian
--
"Dr. Darrell" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ron Rosenfeld

On Wed, 7 Dec 2005 03:37:02 -0800, "Dr. Darrell"
wrote:

[...]

No need for an IF statement:

=(MAX(0,D14-C14)+MAX(0,F14-E14))*24

Format as: Format/Cells/Number/Custom Type:

#,##0.00_);(#,##0.00);

or something equivalent so the zero's don't show.

--ron
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Roger Govier

Hi Darrell

One way would be to multiply by a test fro the count in the matching pairs
of cells to be equal to 2. This will return True or False which can be
coerced to 1 or 0 by preceding with the double unary minus.

=(D14-C14)*24*--(COUNT(C14:D14)=2)+(F14-E14)*24*--(COUNT(E14:F14)=2)

Regards

Roger Govier

Dr. Darrell wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ron Rosenfeld

On Wed, 07 Dec 2005 14:57:04 +0000, Roger Govier
wrote:

Much nicer, Ron.

Regards

Roger Govier