Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default How do I make a compressor map with efficiency islands?

I can make standard compressor maps in excel very easily, but does anybody
know how to add efficiency islands to the map?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

On Mon, 14 Apr 2008, in microsoft.public.excel.charting,
erfigge said:
I can make standard compressor maps in excel very easily, but does anybody
know how to add efficiency islands to the map?

This is a newsgroup of Excel experts, not necessarily experts in
whatever your field is. Most people here will have no idea what you're
talking about, so it's a courtesy to include some brief explanation of
what a compressor map is. I googled and found this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compressor_map

I assume that what you mean by "efficiency island" is that you want to
calculate contours. Excel is not well designed for contour mapping, and
you may want to try another package instead. If you can calculate the
efficiency levels for a range of pressures and flows, you could use the
"3-D Surface Chart" type, but the results will be blocky, and
integrating it with your original line curves will be difficult.

--
Del Cotter
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

On Tue, 15 Apr 2008, in microsoft.public.excel.charting,
Del Cotter said:
erfigge said:
I can make standard compressor maps in excel very easily, but does anybody
know how to add efficiency islands to the map?

Excel is not well designed for contour mapping, and you may want to try
another package instead. If you can calculate the efficiency levels for
a range of pressures and flows, you could use the "3-D Surface Chart"
type, but the results will be blocky, and integrating it with your
original line curves will be difficult.

If you're not prepared to abandon Excel or 2-D XY charts, you could use
one of the third-party chart labeling utilities. Google "excel chart
labeler" and "excel chart tools" to find the two popular free add-ins by
Rob Bovey (AppsPro) and John Walkenbach ("J-Walk"). This will let you
show the efficiency of each point on the pressure-flow curve as a
number.

Alternatively, are you prepared to abandon the compressor map
arrangement of pressure against flow, and plot efficiency against flow
instead? You could use the technique above to label the curves with the
pressure at each point. It might be worth showing two graphs next to
each other, one pressure-flow, and the other efficiency-flow.

--
Del Cotter
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Thanks for your response, and I apologize for not explaining better. After
doing some thinking on this, is there any reason I couldn't make two charts,
one xy scatter and one contour with the islands and then just superimpose
them? I would obviously have to do some macro's to get the data in the
correct layout for both graphs...............