rob

Default How to use a template when inputting csv files?

I constantly get csv files from another party which I have to do a lot
of formatting on in order to use. I do all this formatting and then save
them in XL format.

The format I use is always the same (column widths, coloring, and the
like, nothing complicated but it takes several minutes to do it every
time) so I'd like to use a template to pull this off.

I made a template with all my formatted and then did File/New and
selected my template. To bring in a csv file I did File/Open and
selected a csv file. It made a separate workbook with the csv data in
the usual XL default format and ignored my template. I can't find any
other options on how to input the file or use the template.

Surely I'm missing something and XL will do what I need. Can one of you
XL wizards give me some clues here? Thanks a lot.
Jim Rech

I'd open the CSV in Excel as you're doing and then select the data and do a
copy followed by a Edit, Paste Special, Values into the template.

You can directly read the text into your template however using the Data
menu. The command varies with your Excel version (always a good idea to
mention it in a post) but it's Import External Data in Excel 2003.

--
Jim
"rob" wrote in message
|I constantly get csv files from another party which I have to do a lot
| of formatting on in order to use. I do all this formatting and then save
| them in XL format.
|
| The format I use is always the same (column widths, coloring, and the
| like, nothing complicated but it takes several minutes to do it every
| time) so I'd like to use a template to pull this off.
|
| I made a template with all my formatted and then did File/New and
| selected my template. To bring in a csv file I did File/Open and
| selected a csv file. It made a separate workbook with the csv data in
| the usual XL default format and ignored my template. I can't find any
| other options on how to input the file or use the template.
|
| Surely I'm missing something and XL will do what I need. Can one of you
| XL wizards give me some clues here? Thanks a lot.

rob

Jim Rech wrote:
I'd open the CSV in Excel as you're doing and then select the data and do a
copy followed by a Edit, Paste Special, Values into the template.

You can directly read the text into your template however using the Data
menu. The command varies with your Excel version (always a good idea to
mention it in a post) but it's Import External Data in Excel 2003.

Jim, thanks for taking the time to help. I guess this Import External
Data command is newer than my Office 2000 version of XL. I'd update
except for the fact that Bill Gates will trash all macros,
customization, preferences, etc if I do. Thanks again, Rob