Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Dick B.

Default how to use a variable for the criteria in a sumif function?

I am trying to use a named variable for the criteria in a sumif function.
=sumif(A1:A4,"currentjobno",B1:B4)
currentjobno has a value of 38006
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Elkar

Remove the quotes.

=sumif(A1:A4,currentjobno,B1:B4)

HTH,
Elkar

"Dick B." wrote:

I am trying to use a named variable for the criteria in a sumif function.
=sumif(A1:A4,"currentjobno",B1:B4)
currentjobno has a value of 38006

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ian P

I didn't think it was possible to define a variable in "just" Excel. I
thought this had to be do in VB. If I've got it wrong then how do you define
variables in Excel?

Thanks

Ian

Remove the quotes.

"Dick B." wrote:

I am trying to use a named variable for the criteria in a sumif function.
=sumif(A1:A4,"currentjobno",B1:B4)
currentjobno has a value of 38006

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Elkar

I'm assuming he's referring to a single cell as a named range, rather than a
variable. Although the effect is very similar.

"Ian P" wrote:

I didn't think it was possible to define a variable in "just" Excel. I
thought this had to be do in VB. If I've got it wrong then how do you define
variables in Excel?

Thanks

Ian

Remove the quotes.

"Dick B." wrote:

I am trying to use a named variable for the criteria in a sumif function.
=sumif(A1:A4,"currentjobno",B1:B4)
currentjobno has a value of 38006

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ian P

Thanks, for a moment I thought a whole new area of Excel was going to open
up, much the same as when I first found out that it was possible to use VB in
worksheets.

Ian

"Ian P" wrote:

I didn't think it was possible to define a variable in "just" Excel. I
thought this had to be do in VB. If I've got it wrong then how do you define
variables in Excel?

Thanks

Ian

Remove the quotes.

"Dick B." wrote:

I am trying to use a named variable for the criteria in a sumif function.
=sumif(A1:A4,"currentjobno",B1:B4)
currentjobno has a value of 38006

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Dick B.

Thanks, Yes I have a single cell as a named range. It works great.
Thanks

"Ian P" wrote:

I didn't think it was possible to define a variable in "just" Excel. I
thought this had to be do in VB. If I've got it wrong then how do you define
variables in Excel?

Thanks

Ian

Remove the quotes.