Pank Mehta

Default Copying multiple sheets from one book 2 another and undertake spec

Copying multiple sheets from one book 2 another and undertake special editing.

Apologies as the following is long winded.

I have a workbook that has 12 sheets (i.e. 1 for each month of the Year).
Each sheet contains the following: -

Header row;
Customer name; date contacted and work location (and other information).
One can have multiple rows for each customer as they can contact us many
times a day for work to be undertaken at different locations.

On a monthly basis we have to undertake a charging process for customers who
have used our services for the last month.

At the moment we all copy the information from each monthly sheet to another
workbook and sort it on Customer name.

Having sorted the information, someone manually creates a worksheet for each
customer using Cut + Paste and then creates an invoice.

Things have now changed and we have to charge on a quarterly basis.

Is there any way that a front-end screen can be written in which one
specifies sheet names that need to be charged for and a destination sheet
name. Once the sheet names have been entered, we would like the appropriate
sheets (may be selected columns) to be copied to an existing workbook (using
Paste special and Values) with the name specified as destination. Obviously
once the sheets have been copied, there will be three headers, I would
ideally like to search the destination sheet and delete the extra 2 headers
automatically before it is sorted in the format that is required.

Having sorted the sheet, we would like to create individual sheets for all
the different customers that exist on the master sheet and have all rows for
that customer copied into their named sheet.

Any help offered would be most appreciated.

Dave Peterson

What you're asking for is doable.

But how about a slightly different approach?

Put all your data on one worksheet. Add a column that corresponds to date. By
putting all the data in one spot, it makes updating easier (or at least more
consistent--like when you add a column, you don't have to add it to several
worksheets.

Then you could use a macro that filters that worksheet (by date and by customer)
and creates the separate worksheets that way.

Debra Dalgleish has some code that comes kind of close to doing this -- but it's
based on only one column. You could tweak that code or you could insert a new
column that combines dates/customers -- so you can treat it as one field.

Create New Sheets from Filtered List -- uses an Advanced Filter to create
separate sheet of orders for each sales rep visible in a filtered list; macro
automates the filter. AdvFilterRepFiltered.xls 35 kb

Update Sheets from Master -- uses an Advanced Filter to send data from
Master sheet to individual worksheets -- replaces old data with current.
AdvFilterCity.xls 55 kb

======
But this may get you started with the original question. Select/group your
sheets (click on the first tab, ctrl-click on the next two tabs.)

Option Explicit
Sub testme01()
Dim Wks As Worksheet
Dim DestCell As Range
Dim newWks As Worksheet
Dim HeadersAreDone As Boolean
Dim mySelectedSheets As Object

Set mySelectedSheets = ActiveWindow.SelectedSheets
If mySelectedSheets.Count < 3 Then
MsgBox "Please Group exactly 3 sheets before you run this macro!"
Exit Sub
End If

Set newWks = Workbooks.Add(1).Worksheets(1)
HeadersAreDone = False
For Each Wks In mySelectedSheets
With Wks
If HeadersAreDone = True Then
'do nothing
Else
.Rows(1).Copy _
Destination:=newWks.Range("a1")
HeadersAreDone = True
Set DestCell = newWks.Range("a2")
End If
.Range("a2", .Cells.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeLastCell)).Copy _
Destination:=DestCell
End With
With newWks
Set DestCell = .Cells(.Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Offset(1, 0)
End With
Next Wks

'delete columns you don't want.

End Sub

Remember to ungroup the sheets when you're done. Anything you do to one of
those sheets, you do to all 3!

So you can really hose up a workbook really fast!

And after you have the 3 worksheets combined, you could still use code from
Debra's site to break them apart per customer.

--

Dave Peterson
Pank Mehta

Dave,

Many thanks for your valuable comments and suggestion. I will talk to the
people regarding your suggestion and see what their view are and will also
look at the site you mention.

Once again many thanks.

"Pank Mehta" wrote:

[...]

Ann

Dave,

I have finally, got round to testing the code that you were kind enough to
provide.

Having run the code I get the message "Run Time error 1004, You cannot use
this command on a protected sheet. To unprotect ....". When I click on the
debug statement it points to the line with the following code:-

..Range("a2", .Cells.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeLastCell)).Copy _
Destination:=DestCell

I inserted "ActiveWorkbook.Unprotect" prior to the above statement and also
prior to the first IF statement, but unfortunately this does not resolve the
problem.

It has managed to copy the first sheet, inserted the data onto a new sheet
and then produces the above message.

Lastly, on the copy how do I change it so that it does a special and copies
values as opposed to formulas.

Help much appreciated.

"Pank Mehta" wrote:

[...]

Dave Peterson

First, by directing this to me, you do limit the number of response from
others. And that will hurt you in the long run--lots of people could have
helped.

Second, you have to unprotect the worksheet.

activesheet.unprotect password:="yourpasswordhere"

(I don't recall if this was for the activesheet or some other sheet, though.)

But from the snippet of code you posted, it should fit in right before this
line:

.unprotect password:="yourpasswordhere"
.Range("a2", .Cells.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeLastCell)).Copy _
Destination:=DestCell
.protect password:="yourpasswordhere"

And if you only want the values, you can either copy|paste special values or
just assign the value.

dim myRngToCopy as range
'...some more code
with worksheets("someworksheet")
.unprotect password:="yourpasswordhere"
set myrngtocopy = .Range("a2", .Cells.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeLastCell))
destcell.resize(myrngtocopy.rows.count,myrngtocopy .columns.count).value _
= myrngtocopy.value
.protect password:="yourpasswordhere"
end with

======
or equivalently:

with worksheets("someworksheet")
.unprotect password:="yourpasswordhere"
.Range("a2", .Cells.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeLastCell)).copy
destcell.pastespecial paste:=xlpastevalues
.protect password:="yourpasswordhere"
end with

I like the assignment of values myself.

"Pank Mehta" wrote:

[...]

Ann

Dave,

Firstly, many thanks for your help. However, I am now encountering the
following problem.

"Compile Error : Expected End With" and the only End With in the code is
highlighted in yellow when I select debug.

Detailed below is the code that I have:-

Sub EOM()
Dim Wks As Worksheet
Dim DestCell As Range
Dim newWks As Worksheet
Dim HeadersAreDone As Boolean
Dim mySelectedSheets As Object
Dim myRngToCopy As Range
Set mySelectedSheets = ActiveWindow.SelectedSheets
If mySelectedSheets.Count < 3 Then
MsgBox "Please Group exactly 3 sheets before you run this macro!"
Exit Sub
End If
Set newWks = Workbooks.Add(1).Worksheets(1)
HeadersAreDone = False
For Each Wks In mySelectedSheets
ActiveWorkbook.Unprotect
With Wks
If HeadersAreDone = True Then
'do nothing
Else
.Rows(1).Copy _
Destination:=newWks.Range("a1")
HeadersAreDone = True
Set DestCell = newWks.Range("a2")
End If
With Worksheets("sheet1")
.Unprotect password:=""
Set myRngToCopy = .Range("a2",
..Cells.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeLastCell))
DestCell.Resize(myRngToCopy.Rows.Count,
myRngToCopy.Columns.Count).Value _
= myRngToCopy.Value
.Protect password:=""

Pank Mehta wrote:

[...]

Dave Peterson

I'm not sure if this works, but it compiled for me:

Option Explicit

[...]

I added an End With and moved the workbook protection out of the loop. You may
want to turn that workbook protection back on when your macro is done.

Pank Mehta wrote:

[...]

Pank Mehta

Dave,

Sorry to be a pain in A**E.

The code I have is:-

Option Explicit
Sub EOM()
Dim Wks As Worksheet
Dim DestCell As Range
Dim newWks As Worksheet
Dim HeadersAreDone As Boolean
Dim mySelectedSheets As Object
Dim myRngToCopy As Range

Set mySelectedSheets = ActiveWindow.SelectedSheets

If mySelectedSheets.Count < 3 Then
MsgBox "Please Group exactly 3 sheets before you run this macro!"
Exit Sub
End If

Set newWks = Workbooks.Add(1).Worksheets(1)

HeadersAreDone = False

ActiveWorkbook.Unprotect

For Each Wks In mySelectedSheets
With Wks
If HeadersAreDone = True Then
'do nothing
Else
.Rows(2).Copy _
Destination:=newWks.Range("a1")
HeadersAreDone = True
Set DestCell = newWks.Range("a2")
End If

With Worksheets("someworksheet")
.Unprotect password:=""
.Range("a2", .Cells.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeLastCell)).Copy
DestCell.PasteSpecial Paste:=xlPasteValues
.Protect password:=""
End With

Set DestCell = .Cells(.Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Offset(1, 0)

End With
Next Wks

End Sub

Unfortunately, I get the message "subscript out of range". Please help.
Woulf it help if we communicate directly via emails?. Once we (well you) have
cracked it I would still post the full result to the newsgroup just in case
it is usefull to other people?

"Pank Mehta" wrote:

[...]

Dave Peterson

That snippet could have been editted when you merged it with the existing code:

[...]

I deleted the "With Worksheets("someworksheet")" and associated "end with"
statements.

"Pank Mehta" wrote:

[...]

Dave Peterson

Any idea which line caused the error?

I didn't get any error when I ran it.

But I like this version better--destcell is pointing to the correct sheet. You
dropped some code from the original and I didn't notice it in your newer
versions.

Option Explicit
Sub EOM()
Dim Wks As Worksheet
Dim DestCell As Range
Dim newWks As Worksheet
Dim HeadersAreDone As Boolean
Dim mySelectedSheets As Object
Dim myRngToCopy As Range

Set mySelectedSheets = ActiveWindow.SelectedSheets
ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets(1).Select

"Pank Mehta" wrote:

[...]

Pank Mehta

Dave,

Firstly, many thanks for your time, patient and perseverance. I created a
macro name called EOM (as opposed to ALT+11 ) and it worked.

However, I have the following observation: -

The header row from each sheet (row 2) is copied into the new sheet, which I
dont want. (Can this be fixed?), if not I can delete them manually (rows 1 &
2 on all sheets are headers, data only commences in row 3 onwards. Basically
it puts 4 headers into the new sheet, I only want 1.

Secondly, I have created a macro to undertake some formatting and copied the
code into the macro code you provided and it works.

The code looks like:-

ActiveWindow.Zoom = 67
Columns("B:B").Select
Selection.NumberFormat = "dd/mm/yy"
Columns("D:D").Select
Selection.NumberFormat = "dd/mm/yy"
Columns("I:I").Select
Selection.NumberFormat = "dd/mm/yy"
Columns("J:J").Select
Selection.NumberFormat = "hh:mm AM/PM"
Columns("A:A").EntireColumn.AutoFit
Columns("C:C").EntireColumn.AutoFit
Columns("E:E").EntireColumn.AutoFit
Columns("F:F").EntireColumn.AutoFit
Columns("H:H").EntireColumn.AutoFit
Columns("K:K").EntireColumn.AutoFit
Columns("G:G").Select
Selection.Replace What:=" /", Replacement:="/", LookAt:=xlPart, _
SearchOrder:=xlByColumns, MatchCase:=False
Cells.Select
Selection.Sort Key1:=Range("A2"), Order1:=xlAscending,
Key2:=Range("G2") _
, Order2:=xlAscending, Key3:=Range("F2"), Order3:=xlAscending,
Header:= _
xlYes, OrderCustom:=1, MatchCase:=False, Orientation:=xlTopToBottom

Is there a way to make this code more efficient, as I have been lead to
believe that you dont necessarily have to do the selects?

Lastly, the contents of the new sheet are as follows in column A:-

Company A
Company A
Company B
Company B
Company B
Company C
Company C
Company C
Company E
Company E

Etc.

Is there any way that I can automatically get a sheet set up for each
Company A, B, C, €¦with all data in to their corresponding sheets? Including a
header?

i.e. From the example above:-

Sheet called Company A with data for 2 rows into the sheet plus header at
the top
Sheet called Company B with data for 3 rows into the sheet plus header at
the top
Sheet called Company C with data for 3 rows into the sheet plus header at
the top
Sheet called Company E with data for 2 rows into the sheet plus header at
the top

Once again a ver big thank you.

"Pank Mehta" wrote:

[...]

Dave Peterson

You've got to be more careful when you modify the code <vbg.

The original code just copied rows(1) as the header. You changed it to
rows(2). But you didn't change the start of the details from A2 to A3.

so maybe this would work better:

Option Explicit
Sub EOM()
Dim Wks As Worksheet
Dim DestCell As Range
Dim newWks As Worksheet
Dim HeadersAreDone As Boolean
Dim mySelectedSheets As Object
Dim myRngToCopy As Range

Set mySelectedSheets = ActiveWindow.SelectedSheets
ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets(1).Select

If mySelectedSheets.Count < 3 Then
MsgBox "Please Group exactly 3 sheets before you run this macro!"
Exit Sub
End If

Set newWks = Workbooks.Add(1).Worksheets(1)

HeadersAreDone = False

ActiveWorkbook.Unprotect

For Each Wks In mySelectedSheets
With Wks
If HeadersAreDone = True Then
'do nothing
Else
'for both rows 1 & 2, use .rows("1:2").copy _
'instead of the next line
.Rows(2).Copy _
Destination:=newWks.Range("a1")
HeadersAreDone = True
Set DestCell = newWks.Range("a2")
End If

.Unprotect Password:=""
.Range("a3", .Cells.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeLastCell)).Copy
DestCell.PasteSpecial Paste:=xlPasteValues
.Protect Password:=""

With newWks
Set DestCell = .Cells(.Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Offset(1, 0)
End With

End With
Next Wks

End Sub

And you're formatting the new worksheet??

With newwks
.Select 'just for the .zoom to work.
ActiveWindow.Zoom = 67
.Range("b:b,d:d,I:i").NumberFormat = "dd/mm/yy"
.Range("j:j").NumberFormat = "hh:mm AM/PM"
.UsedRange.Columns.AutoFit
'or
.Range("a:a,c:c,e:e,H:h,k:k").EntireColumn.AutoFit
With .Range("g:g")
.Replace What:=" /", Replacement:="/", _
LookAt:=xlPart, _
SearchOrder:=xlByColumns, _
MatchCase:=False
End With

With .UsedRange
.Sort key1:=.Range("a1"), Order1:=xlAscending, _
Key2:=.Range("G1"), Order2:=xlAscending, _
Key3:=.Range("F2"), Order3:=xlAscending, _
Header:=xlYes, OrderCustom:=1, MatchCase:=False, _
Orientation:=xlTopToBottom
End With
End With

But watch out for that last sort. This code is sorting from Row 1 (headers in
row 1).

You may want this (or a variation):

With .Range("a2", .Cells.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeLastCell))
.Sort key1:=.Range("a1"), Order1:=xlAscending, _
Key2:=.Range("G1"), Order2:=xlAscending, _
Key3:=.Range("F2"), Order3:=xlAscending, _
Header:=xlYes, OrderCustom:=1, MatchCase:=False, _
Orientation:=xlTopToBottom
End With

Use the last row that contains headers in that "A2" reference.

And finally, you may be able to use Ron de Bruin's EasyFilter addin:
http://www.rondebruin.nl/easyfilter.htm

Or you could steal some code from Debra Dalgleish's site:

Pank Mehta wrote:

[...]

<<snipped
Pank Mehta

Dave,

It worked a treat and exactly what was required.

Please accept my sincere thanks for you sterling effort considering I was
sometimes a pain in the a**e.

As you have suggested I will look at Ron and Debras sites to take the work
to the next logical level to complete the work.

Once again many many thanks, and I will post something in the discussion
groups that may help others.