Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Select a random sample

How do I randomly select a sample of data (rows), from a given set of large
data in the Excel program?
Example: I have 100 rows of information. I need to randomly select 10% or 10
of the rows from the 100 rowed items and place that information on either
another worksheet or another blank area of the existing worksheet.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Use a help column, assume the data is in A2:A101, insert and adjacent column
and in B2 put

=RAND()

copy down to B101, select both columns and do datasort and sort by column
B, select the first 10 rows in A and copy
to a new workbook, save the new workbook, close the workbook with the help
column without saving to get back to it's
original state.

Peo Sjoblom

"IPMS" wrote in message
How do I randomly select a sample of data (rows), from a given set of
large
data in the Excel program?
Example: I have 100 rows of information. I need to randomly select 10% or
10
of the rows from the 100 rowed items and place that information on either
another worksheet or another blank area of the existing worksheet.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Or without sorting:
=INDEX(MyData,RANK(MyRand,MyRand))