blueboy

Default I want Excel to allow cells with formulas and unrelated text

I didn't quite get how to do what you are saying -or- it doesn't work. Any
suggestions?

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

You can kind of have formula and text in the same cell:

=a1+7 & char(10 & " this is some event text"

(char(10) is the alt-enter character in a formula.)

blueboy wrote:

Recently, while trying to create a calendar in Excel (I realize that there
are better ways), I was using a formula to get the calendar to display the
date. I would type in the first few dates (at least 7) and then I typed
=([Cell#] + 7) from there I would copy and paste that, and it would work for
the rest of the month. However, I realized my error when I actually tried to
insert text, such as events and things to do, in the same cells. What I
would like is for Excel to allow cells to have both formulas and text as well
in the same cell. That way, I could have my date and eat it too (forgive the
play on words). This would allow so many other possibilities, and would be
so useful in other ways to other people that I think that you must enable
Excel to do so.

If you cannot do that, are there any other suggestions?

--

Dave Peterson

Debra Dalgleish

Dave missed a parenthesis in his example. It should be:

=a1+7 & char(10) & " this is some event text"

Or, if you want to format the date, and include some text, you could use:

=TEXT(A1+7,"dd-mmm-yyyy")&CHAR(10)&" this is some event text"

After you enter the formula, select the cell
Choose FormatCells
Select the Alignment tab
Add a check mark to Wrap Text, click OK

blueboy wrote:

[...]

Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

blueboy

Nope. It says #NAME?

Perhaps there is something that you are not telling me, or it actually
doesn't work? Maybe it is that I am using 2002? I don't know, but right
now, I can only agree with Frank Kabel.

blueboy wrote:

[...]

blueboy

I still couldn;t get it to work even after the correction. I am not sure
what is wrong, sometimes I get #VALUE! with yours, but with the "corrected"
version from Debrah, it says #NAME?

blueboy

I just copied and pasted the text in your message, but it didn't work. Yes,
it is English.

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

What was the formula you used?

Do you use an English version of excel?

blueboy

Well, I got it to work, but in reality I am looking for something that does
not do the full date, but rather just the day's date, like:

__________________________
| 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | etc.

Do you know how I could get that?

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

What was the formula you used?

Do you use an English version of excel?

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

Dave Peterson

Maybe something like...

=TEXT(A1+7,"d") & CHAR(10) & " this is some event text"