Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Limit Number in cell to 5 Digits

I have a Zip Code Table with numbers with 9 digits or more showing up.

How do I go about only allowing the field to show the first 5 numbers and
dropping the rest after 5?
--
Brian
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Public Sub ProcessData()
Dim i As Long
Dim iLastRow As Long

With ActiveSheet

iLastRow = .Cells(.Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row
For i = 1 To iLastRow
.Cells(i, "A").Value = Val(Left$(.Cells(i, "A").Value, 5))
Next i

End With

HTH

Bob

"bdehning" wrote in message
I have a Zip Code Table with numbers with 9 digits or more showing up.

How do I go about only allowing the field to show the first 5 numbers and
dropping the rest after 5?
--
Brian

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Excuse me for being limited in knowledge about Macros.

Do I need to change anything in the macro you provided to work in my
spreadsheet.

I created the macro and saved it. I then highlighted the cells I wanted to
change and then ran the macro but it didn't appear to be doing what I wanted.
Maybe I should have waited longer?

Am I doing somthing terribly wrong.

Brian
--
Brian

"bdehning" wrote in message
I have a Zip Code Table with numbers with 9 digits or more showing up.

How do I go about only allowing the field to show the first 5 numbers and
dropping the rest after 5?
--
Brian

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Actually I got two ways from some other sources.

1. First Rename the zip column and move it some where to the right.
Replace this with a new blank column and give it the original title.
Add a formula to the new column fields: =left(cell,5)
This will give you the 5 left most characters. Using Right gives you the 5
most right characters.

2. The other way to make a new column and in the field use: =MID(A1,1,5),
where A1 is cell with the number you want to limit. 1 means to start at the
first number and 5 says to keep the first 5 numbers.

Brian