Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Excel Novice

Default Select from drop down list via typing text?

I'd like to save time selecting from a drop down list by typing the first few
letters of textl and have the cell "auto fill."
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Chip Pearson

If you are using a combobox from the controls menu, set the
AutoWordSelect property to True. If you are using a data
validation dropdown, you can't do this.

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

"Excel Novice" <Excel wrote in
message
I'd like to save time selecting from a drop down list by typing
the first few
letters of textl and have the cell "auto fill."

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Phil

Chip,

I am also interested in doing this. Is there a good tutorial on setting up a
combobox from the controls menu so that the user can just type some text to
select an entry?

Phil.

"Chip Pearson" wrote:

If you are using a combobox from the controls menu, set the
AutoWordSelect property to True. If you are using a data
validation dropdown, you can't do this.

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson
Microsoft MVP - Excel
Pearson Software Consulting, LLC
www.cpearson.com

"Excel Novice" <Excel wrote in
message
I'd like to save time selecting from a drop down list by typing
the first few
letters of textl and have the cell "auto fill."

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Gord Dibben

Phil

Should be all you need at Debra Dalgleish's site.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

"Chip Pearson" wrote:

If you are using a combobox from the controls menu, set the
AutoWordSelect property to True. If you are using a data
validation dropdown, you can't do this.

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson
Microsoft MVP - Excel
Pearson Software Consulting, LLC
www.cpearson.com

"Excel Novice" <Excel wrote in
message
I'd like to save time selecting from a drop down list by typing
the first few
letters of textl and have the cell "auto fill."

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Jim Jim is offline

Hi Gord,

I referenced the site you recommended and found it helpful. Unfortunately,
I can not get the combo box to reference the drop down list - it pops up
empty. I am curious whether the macro code needs modification because I am
linking validation list from another workbook. I do have it open when
attempting to execute. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Jim

"Chip Pearson" wrote:

If you are using a combobox from the controls menu, set the
AutoWordSelect property to True. If you are using a data
validation dropdown, you can't do this.

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson
Microsoft MVP - Excel
Pearson Software Consulting, LLC
www.cpearson.com

"Excel Novice" <Excel wrote in
message
I'd like to save time selecting from a drop down list by typing
the first few
letters of textl and have the cell "auto fill."

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Did you first create the Data Validation dropdowns as instructed?

Since you're using another workbook for the source, make sure you use a
named range from that workbook as your list source.

A sample workbook can be found at Debra's site

http://www.contextures.on.ca/excelfiles.html#DataVal

DV0028 - Data Validation Combobox Named Lists -- Double-click a cell that
contains a data validation list, and a combobox appears -- font size can be
set, more than 8 rows displayed, autocomplete can be enabled. Lists are
stored in named ranges on a separate sheet. Macros must be enabled.
DataValComboboxSheet.zip 13 kb updated 15-Jan-07 View detailed
Instructions

Another one from same site.............

DV0043 - Data Validation Combobox With Entry Check -- Double-click a cell
that contains a data validation list, and a combobox appears -- font size
can be set, more than 8 rows displayed, autocomplete can be enabled. When
the combobox loses focus, the entry is validated. DataValComboCheck.zip 15
kb 29-Jun-06 Updated 11-Oct-06

Gord

"Chip Pearson" wrote:

If you are using a combobox from the controls menu, set the
AutoWordSelect property to True. If you are using a data
validation dropdown, you can't do this.

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson
Microsoft MVP - Excel
Pearson Software Consulting, LLC
www.cpearson.com

"Excel Novice" <Excel wrote in
message
I'd like to save time selecting from a drop down list by typing
the first few
letters of textl and have the cell "auto fill."

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I found this thread to be very helpful, but i just have one more question.
I've set everything up according the instructions on the ConTextures Page and
it works great. Now my problem is, if there is a typo instead of matching
the entry to one on the validation list it just pastes the mispelled word in
the selected cell. Is there a way to modify the code to give an error
message if the entry doesn't match one in the validation list?

Any help given is greatly appreciated.
Thanks

"Chip Pearson" wrote:

If you are using a combobox from the controls menu, set the
AutoWordSelect property to True. If you are using a data
validation dropdown, you can't do this.

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson
Microsoft MVP - Excel
Pearson Software Consulting, LLC
www.cpearson.com

"Excel Novice" <Excel wrote in
message
I'd like to save time selecting from a drop down list by typing
the first few
letters of textl and have the cell "auto fill."

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Jim Jim is offline

Hi Gord,

Thanks much for your follow up and advice. Yes, I have followed your
instruction with validation source. I am now experiencing another prblm in
that I can not get the combo box to activate on double click with the
provided code from DD. I have taken initial source files v1.1 and tried to
reinitiate the instruction without success. I am at a loss and don't expect
for you to waste time, unless you think of another oversight on my part.
Thanks and Best, Jim

"Chip Pearson" wrote:

If you are using a combobox from the controls menu, set the
AutoWordSelect property to True. If you are using a data
validation dropdown, you can't do this.

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson
Microsoft MVP - Excel
Pearson Software Consulting, LLC
www.cpearson.com

"Excel Novice" <Excel wrote in
message
I'd like to save time selecting from a drop down list by typing
the first few
letters of textl and have the cell "auto fill."

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

When you downloaded one of the sample workbooks from Debra's site did it
work as you expected?

If so, you should be able to adjust your own workbook to do the same.

You have seemingly missed a step or two in the process or you are looking
for something other than what Debra's sample workbooks provide.

Gord