Alex

Default How do I show negative number in brackets using excel?

The only option I could choose from format is to show negative numbers with
"-" in front but I want to show negative number in brackets.
David Hepner

On the toolbar menu:

FormatFormatCellNumber and choose (1234.56) from the list.

HTH

"Alex" wrote:

The only option I could choose from format is to show negative numbers with
"-" in front but I want to show negative number in brackets.

Gord Dibben

Alex

If David's option is not available under FormatCellNumber................

This is a function of your Regional Settings in Windows OS.

StartSettingsControl PanelRegional and Language SettingsRegional
OptionsCustomizeCurrencyNegative Currency Format. Click on drop-down arrow
and select the ($1.1)

Note: this is under the "Currency" tab in Regional Options. Changing under
the "Numbers" tab only does not do the trick.

Apply and OKApply your way out.

You will have to close Excel then re-open to see effects.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

"Alex" wrote:

The only option I could choose from format is to show negative numbers with
"-" in front but I want to show negative number in brackets.

Not sure if you really mean brackets or you actually mean parentheses
parentheses ( ) ; brackets [ ] ; braces { }

If you really mean parentheses, here's a simple way. First highlight
the cell(s) you want formatted this way, then:
1.)Do the menu sequence FormatCells
2.)Choose the Number tab
3.)In the Category field, choose Number
4.)In the Negative Numbers field, pick either of the 2 numbers (black
or red) enclosed in parentheses. (Optionally choosing Decimal Places
and 1000 Separator while you're in that screen.)
5.)Now, any cell containing a negative number within the range you
highlighted will be enclosed in parentheses.

However, if you really do mean brackets and not parentheses, it's just
a little more complicated. Again, highlight the cell(s) you want
formatted this way, then.
1.)Do the menu sequence FormatCells
2.)Choose the Number tab
3.)In the Category field, choose Custom
4.)In the Type field, enter #,##0;"["#,##0"]" for no decimal places or
#,##0.00;"["#,##0.00"]" for 2 decimal places. (Be careful to include
those quotation marks as Excel doesn't allow entering brackets in a
custom format without them!)
5.)Now, any cell containing a negative number within the range you
highlighted will be enclosed in brackets.