ramseysgirl

Default Multiple rows of data on a single axis (charting)

I have several rows of data that are separated by several other rows (that I
don't want to chart). Is there a way to chart several rows of data on one
continuous axis? For example (see below) I want to chart Row 1, Row 3 and
Row 5 on one axis that would show a trend of 25, 50, 75, 5, 10, 15, 1, 2, 3.
I have tried separting the rows with comas, colons, &, "", + and can't get it
to work. I don't want to copy and paste the data into a new format b/c that
will take too much time. Any suggestions?

Column A Column B Column C
Row 1 25 50 75
Row 2 10 20 30
Row 3 5 10 15
Row 4 2 4 6
Row 5 1 2 3

Barb Reinhardt

What is the difference between the three groups of data? Were they
collected at different times or are they a continuation of data collection.
I think I see what you want (after reading it through several times), but
don't understand the purpose.

"ramseysgirl" wrote in message
I have several rows of data that are separated by several other rows (that
don't want to chart). Is there a way to chart several rows of data on one
continuous axis? For example (see below) I want to chart Row 1, Row 3 and
Row 5 on one axis that would show a trend of 25, 50, 75, 5, 10, 15, 1, 2,
3.
I have tried separting the rows with comas, colons, &, "", + and can't get
it
to work. I don't want to copy and paste the data into a new format b/c
that
will take too much time. Any suggestions?

Column A Column B Column C
Row 1 25 50 75
Row 2 10 20 30
Row 3 5 10 15
Row 4 2 4 6
Row 5 1 2 3

ramseysgirl

The sample chart is not the actual data. Basically, my rows contain data by
fiscal year. The columns would be the months of the year. The tricky part
is I want to select rows that are not in succession (i.e. every other row for
example). I want my end chart to be fiscal years FY 01 - FY 05 data on one
constant line on a line chart. The x axis is the fiscal years, the y axis is
my numerical data.

Since I posted this I actually made it work by putting the selected data in
a series rather than a data range. Now I'm just trying to add several titles
to one axis (fy01, fy02, etc).

"Barb Reinhardt" wrote:

[...]

Barb Reinhardt

OK, let me get this straight. You're data looks something like this:

Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec
2001
2002
2003
2004
2005

And you want to plot data like this:
Jan 2001
Feb 2001
Mar 2001
Oct 2004
Nov 2004
Dec 2004
Jan 2005

I believe I've seen someone do something with Pivot tables to get to what
you want. I'm not sure how to get it laid out. Someone else will have to
step in here.

John Mansfield

Ramseysgirl,

You can chart a group of non-contiguous ranges in one series by place
parenthesis around each range and seperating them by commas. For example:

=((Sheet1!$B$2:$D$2),(Sheet1!$B$4:$D$4),(Sheet1!$B $6:$D$6))

----
Regards,
John Mansfield
http://www.pdbook.com

"ramseysgirl" wrote:

I have several rows of data that are separated by several other rows (that I
don't want to chart). Is there a way to chart several rows of data on one
continuous axis? For example (see below) I want to chart Row 1, Row 3 and
Row 5 on one axis that would show a trend of 25, 50, 75, 5, 10, 15, 1, 2, 3.
I have tried separting the rows with comas, colons, &, "", + and can't get it
to work. I don't want to copy and paste the data into a new format b/c that
will take too much time. Any suggestions?

Column A Column B Column C
Row 1 25 50 75
Row 2 10 20 30
Row 3 5 10 15
Row 4 2 4 6
Row 5 1 2 3

Jon Peltier

It's easier to select the ranges you want to chart (using the CTRL key to select
discontiguous ranges), then build the chart. Or in the Source Data dialog, click in
one of the selection boxes and select the ranges in this way.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

"ramseysgirl" wrote:

I have several rows of data that are separated by several other rows (that I
don't want to chart). Is there a way to chart several rows of data on one
continuous axis? For example (see below) I want to chart Row 1, Row 3 and
Row 5 on one axis that would show a trend of 25, 50, 75, 5, 10, 15, 1, 2, 3.
I have tried separting the rows with comas, colons, &, "", + and can't get it
to work. I don't want to copy and paste the data into a new format b/c that
will take too much time. Any suggestions?

Column A Column B Column C
Row 1 25 50 75
Row 2 10 20 30
Row 3 5 10 15
Row 4 2 4 6
Row 5 1 2 3

Jon Peltier

I don't want to copy and paste the data into a new format b/c that
will take too much time.

Barb suggests Pivot Tables. It would be wise to learn about these, so you can set up
the data efficiently from the start. This page has an introduction to Pivot Tables,
and a link to other Pivot Table resources:

- Jon
-------