Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Calculating with time

I have a worksheet to calculate wages. I enter the start time, finish time
and the pay rate. I need to get the wages payable which is a simple
multiplication of hours and the pay rate. But when I do that calculation, I
am getting the value based on time value x the pay rate, but not the actual
value. Ex: 8:00 hours x $ 20 returns 6.67 in the wages field.

Can someone help me how to get the actual value in wages field?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

For 8 hours x $20 = $160

="08:00:00"*24*20

or let A1 hold your hours worked and B1 hold your hourly wages:

=TIME(A1,0,0)*24*B1

Thanks,
Mike

"Satya Nanduri" wrote:

I have a worksheet to calculate wages. I enter the start time, finish time
and the pay rate. I need to get the wages payable which is a simple
multiplication of hours and the pay rate. But when I do that calculation, I
am getting the value based on time value x the pay rate, but not the actual
value. Ex: 8:00 hours x $ 20 returns 6.67 in the wages field.

Can someone help me how to get the actual value in wages field?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Note that the latter formula will give an incorrect result if there are more
than 23 hours in A1. Besides since the time function takes an integer for
each value it wont make much sense to first converting it to time and then
converting back to decimals again?

Peo Sjoblom