Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Here is a simple formula request from a newb

Add subtotal * by tax and add tax to create final total

I'd like to have my subtotal = J9
Multiply by my tax rate 6.5% =J10
Add the J10 amout and total on =J13

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
CLR CLR is offline

In J9 put =SUM(J1:J8)
In J10 put =J9*0.065
In J13 put =J9+J10

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"Darryl" wrote:

Add subtotal * by tax and add tax to create final total

I'd like to have my subtotal = J9
Multiply by my tax rate 6.5% =J10
Add the J10 amout and total on =J13

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

CLR wrote:
In J9 put =SUM(J1:J8)
In J10 put =J9*0.065
In J13 put =J9+J10

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"Darryl" wrote:

Add subtotal * by tax and add tax to create final total

I'd like to have my subtotal = J9
Multiply by my tax rate 6.5% =J10
Add the J10 amout and total on =J13

Thank you for the very prompt reply, that did it nicely.
A second question - probably a nit pick.

Say I have my two cells with number vaules:
$360.57 on J5
$858.00 on J6

When I go to sum them on a line that I've chosen, say for example J9,
it will put it directly under the first two numbers above where I have
chosen. Is that by design, or have I not told it to NOT do that?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
CLR CLR is offline

In J9 put =J5+J6

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"Darryl" wrote:

CLR wrote:
In J9 put =SUM(J1:J8)
In J10 put =J9*0.065
In J13 put =J9+J10

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"Darryl" wrote:

Add subtotal * by tax and add tax to create final total

I'd like to have my subtotal = J9
Multiply by my tax rate 6.5% =J10
Add the J10 amout and total on =J13

Thank you for the very prompt reply, that did it nicely.
A second question - probably a nit pick.

Say I have my two cells with number vaules:
$360.57 on J5
$858.00 on J6

When I go to sum them on a line that I've chosen, say for example J9,
it will put it directly under the first two numbers above where I have
chosen. Is that by design, or have I not told it to NOT do that?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I cannot figure out exactly why or what you mean.
I know autofill could come up with a range itself when you place the
function below a list of data. It will then count all the numbers above
it.

Try the following:

Go to the cell you want the SUM to be.
Left mouseclick.
Then topmenu
insert function Mathematical SUM and OK
<look what happens now: it will show a range automatically
click red arrow
select range (J5:J6) with your mouse in the sheet
enter
ok

You this out at J7 and again at J9.
See what happens.

You can always see the function and range in the top of your screen
just below the menu's.

Be aware that if you copy this cell with function to another cell it
will change the range.
Use relative indexing =SUM($J$5:$J$6) if you do not want this to
happen.

--
pvanrooijen
pvanrooijen's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=26090