Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Display document version number in Header or Footer?

I'm using the Document Managemen Server and would like to have the version
number of a file displayed in the footer along with the filename. I have the
filename appearing fine, but can't figure out the variable for "Version".

I tried &[Version] , but no luck.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Does this work?

Sub Stuff_In_Footer()
With ActiveSheet.PageSetup
.LeftFooter = _
ThisWorkbook.BuiltinDocumentProperties("Revision number")
End With
End Sub

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Fri, 3 Apr 2009 06:18:02 -0700, Kevin Hancock
wrote:

I'm using the Document Managemen Server and would like to have the version
number of a file displayed in the footer along with the filename. I have the
filename appearing fine, but can't figure out the variable for "Version".

I tried &[Version] , but no luck.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Please excuse my limited knowledge, but I'm not sure exactly what to do with
the subroutine below. Perhaps you could provide intstructions of where to
paste this code or a link to instructions on it.

wrote:

I'm using the Document Managemen Server and would like to have the version
number of a file displayed in the footer along with the filename. I have the
filename appearing fine, but can't figure out the variable for "Version".

I tried &[Version] , but no luck.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I'm not even sure it will work...........I have nothing to test on.

But to add it to your workbook.

Alt + F11 to open Visual Basic Editor.

Ctrl + r to open Project Explorer.

Right-click on your workbook/project and InsertModule

Copy/paste the macro into that module.

Alt + q to return to the Excel window.

Developer TabMacros..............choose the macro and "Run"

Check out print preview..............anything happen?

Gord

wrote:

I'm using the Document Managemen Server and would like to have the version
number of a file displayed in the footer along with the filename. I have the
filename appearing fine, but can't figure out the variable for "Version".

I tried &[Version] , but no luck.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks for the quick easy instructions. I followed them but the subroutine
doesn't appear to work.

Here's a 1 min. screencast of the process and results so you can confirm
that I followed your instructions correctly.
http://screencast.com/t/OUU4he23G

wrote:

I'm using the Document Managemen Server and would like to have the version
number of a file displayed in the footer along with the filename. I have the
filename appearing fine, but can't figure out the variable for "Version".

I tried &[Version] , but no luck.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Looks like you followed instructions to the "T"

As I said..............I cannot test but maybe you don't have a revision
number under file properties.

Does this one work?

Sub Last_Saved_Footer()
'Private Sub Workbook_BeforePrint(Cancel As Boolean)
ActiveSheet.PageSetup.RightFooter = "&8Last Saved : " & _
Format(ThisWorkbook.BuiltinDocumentProperties("Las t Save Time"), _
"yyyy-mmm-dd hh:mm:ss")
End Sub

I have just started working with Office 2007 and have not yet used the DMS

Not sure if Revsion Number is available for Footers and Headers.

Hopefully someone with more experience with 2007 and DMS and shared
workbooks can throw something in.

Gord

wrote:

I'm using the Document Managemen Server and would like to have the version
number of a file displayed in the footer along with the filename. I have the
filename appearing fine, but can't figure out the variable for "Version".

I tried &[Version] , but no luck.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

This second example worked perfectly.

I think I see what you're saying regarding the version number. Actually,
after digging a little deeper I suspect that the document's
propertiesPreviousVersions tab only keeps track of local information for the
office document and old shadow versions ..... AS OPPOSED to the version
numbers of the document used with the Document Management Server with WSS 3.

These appear to be two different types of version numbers ... so there must
be a different set of document properties methods related to the WSS /
Document Management version number.

Does anyone know???

wrote:

I'm using the Document Managemen Server and would like to have the version
number of a file displayed in the footer along with the filename. I have the
filename appearing fine, but can't figure out the variable for "Version".

I tried &[Version] , but no luck.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I'll be watching this thread closely as well.

Gord