Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default Changing A Column Of Text numbers To True Numbers: How ?

Hello,

Using Excel 2007

Have a column of numbers that I entered as Text.

Wish to change the entire column, now, to "Numbers," so that I can apply a
formula (SUM) to them.

Apparently, it won't let me, even though I select the column and go to
"Format Cells" and select Numbers.

Still comes up as a Text column.

How to I change them to real "numbers", please ?

Thanks,
Bob

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Robert11 wrote:
Hello,

Using Excel 2007

Have a column of numbers that I entered as Text.

Wish to change the entire column, now, to "Numbers," so that I can apply a
formula (SUM) to them.

Apparently, it won't let me, even though I select the column and go to
"Format Cells" and select Numbers.

Still comes up as a Text column.

How to I change them to real "numbers", please ?

Thanks,
Bob

i use a freebie program called ASAP Utilities.
Lots of other uses also.

http://www.asap-utilities.com/downlo...-utilities.php

gls858
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Format the column as Number or General then copy an empty cell.

Select the column and EditPaste Special(in place)AddOKEsc

This will coerce the text numbers into real numbers.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP