Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Jeff Pines

Default Excel XP Crashes

I have a user with a relatively simple Excel spreadsheet - about 5 tabs, a
couple SUMs and other functions; nothing major. Whenever he re-sizes a
column or auto-fills a formula in the spreadsheet, Excel crashes.

The Event Log shows:
EventID 1000: Faulting application excel.exe, version 10.0.6501.0, faulting
module excel.exe, version 10.0.6501.0, fault address 0x000f7fe9.
EventID 1001: Fault bucket 91348980.

The Online Crash Analysis page says there are updates available for Office
that may help, but when we run Office Update, it says we are up to date.

I can reproduce it on Excel XP on another computer with no problem. Any
ideas?

Jeff
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Jim Cone

Jeff,

You don't give us much to go on.
Those MS messages really don't provide any help to most users
or developers. Although, I did meet a Cisco employee once who
claimed he could read them.

The latest service pack for Office 2002 is SP3.
I believe the last time I checked that it could be downloaded separately
without going thru the Office update routine.
Also, in the File | Open dialog box, next to the "open" button in the
bottom right corner is a down arrow. Clicking that arrow provides
an option to "open and repair".
If that doesn't work, I would just create a new workbook.

Regards,
Jim Cone
San Francisco, USA

"Jeff Pines"
wrote in message

I have a user with a relatively simple Excel spreadsheet - about 5 tabs, a
couple SUMs and other functions; nothing major. Whenever he re-sizes a
column or auto-fills a formula in the spreadsheet, Excel crashes.

The Event Log shows:
EventID 1000: Faulting application excel.exe, version 10.0.6501.0, faulting
module excel.exe, version 10.0.6501.0, fault address 0x000f7fe9.
EventID 1001: Fault bucket 91348980.

The Online Crash Analysis page says there are updates available for Office
that may help, but when we run Office Update, it says we are up to date.

I can reproduce it on Excel XP on another computer with no problem. Any
ideas?

Jeff
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Jeff Pines

Jim,

Thank you for the help. I wish I knew what else to provide you to help, but
that's all the error output we found.

I checked and we're on SP3. I know the user did the recover a number of
times (after each crash), but I'm not sure if that is the same as the Open
and Repair. I'll have him try that. Otherwise, he could be in for a lot of
typing ;)

Jeff

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Jim Cone

Jeff,

There is one more trick I've read about...
Round trip the file by saving it as a web page (file type Html).
Then open it and save it back as a regular workbook (.xls).

Jim Cone
San Francisco, USA

"Jeff Pines"
wrote in message...
Jim,

Thank you for the help. I wish I knew what else to provide you to help, but
that's all the error output we found.

I checked and we're on SP3. I know the user did the recover a number of
times (after each crash), but I'm not sure if that is the same as the Open
and Repair. I'll have him try that. Otherwise, he could be in for a lot of
typing ;)

Jeff

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

How about some complete guesses/things to try...

The easy one. Try a different printer (or printer driver). (Or get updates
from the printer manufacturer's site.)

The more difficult one--try different video driver/setting. (Or get updates
from the video card manufacturer's site.)

And the easiest one--try changing the zoom to 100% to see if that helps (who
knows???).

Since you're widening the column, maybe it's something associated with how excel
displays what's on the screen.

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Jeff Pines

Dave - I tried changing to a different printer (different manufacturer, so
different driver), and checked that zoom was 100% - but it still crashed.

I did Jim's round-trip through html and that seems to have solved the
problem. Interestingly, I had previously tried round-tripping through Excel
2003 (which did not crash), but that was not enough to make it usable in
Excel XP. The round-trip through html did the trick. Go figure.

Thanks for the help!

Jeff