Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Stephen Sandor

Default where text wraps in a cell, how can the row height be auto set?

I have merged a number of cells and included text that wraps in the cell. Is
it possible to set the cell so that the height is automatically adjusted to
the height of the text?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Greg Wilson

Paste the following to the worksheet's code module. The code assumes that
each cell within A1:A10 is merged to adjacent columns as opposed to these
cells being merged - e.g. A1:D1 are merged, A2:D2 are merged, A3:D3 are
merged etc. Change the range reference to suit. Can be a single cell.

Dim NewRwHt As Single
Dim cWdth As Single, MrgeWdth As Single
Dim r As Range, c As Range, cc As Range
Dim ma As Range

Set r = Range("A1:A10")
If Not Intersect(Target, r) Is Nothing Then
Set c = Target.Cells(1, 1)
cWdth = c.ColumnWidth
Set ma = c.MergeArea
For Each cc In ma.Cells
MrgeWdth = MrgeWdth + cc.ColumnWidth
Next
Application.ScreenUpdating = False
ma.MergeCells = False
c.ColumnWidth = MrgeWdth
c.EntireRow.AutoFit
NewRwHt = c.RowHeight
c.ColumnWidth = cWdth
ma.MergeCells = True
ma.RowHeight = NewRwHt
cWdth = 0: MrgeWdth = 0
Application.ScreenUpdating = True

Alternatively, size the column width of a single cell in the same row to the
combined column widths of the merged range. Format the font, wraptext and
alignment exactly the same except change the font colour to be the same as
the background (to hide it). Enter a formula that references the active cell
of the merged range (e.g. "=C10"). Use the worksheet_change event to force
autofit of this cell. The merged cell range will then autofit along with it.
This assumes it is columns that are merged. Use the same logic if rows are
merged.

Regards,
Greg

"Stephen Sandor" wrote:

I have merged a number of cells and included text that wraps in the cell. Is
it possible to set the cell so that the height is automatically adjusted to
the height of the text?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Greg Wilson

BTW, the code was adapted from an old Jim Rech post. Forgot to mention this.
Credit to him for the concept.

Greg

"Stephen Sandor" wrote:

I have merged a number of cells and included text that wraps in the cell. Is
it possible to set the cell so that the height is automatically adjusted to
the height of the text?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

If you are linking a single cell in sheet1 to a merged cell on another sheet
the single cell is not merged so Greg's code will not work on it.

Regular wrap text and autofit should work on single cells in sheet1

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Fri, 1 Aug 2008 08:23:01 -0700, Terry H. <Terry
wrote:

Hi Greg,

Great code! Works like a charm. I found an area where this does not appear
to work. Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated. I have an
Excel spreadsheet where information in entered in cells on one tab. Those
cells are linked to merged cells on another tab. This code does not appear
to work when applied to the merged cells that are linked. Any way around
this? Thanks,

Terry

"Stephen Sandor" wrote:

I have merged a number of cells and included text that wraps in the cell. Is
it possible to set the cell so that the height is automatically adjusted to
the height of the text?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks. That makes sense, and I can probably set things up so there is a
single cell to a single cell linkage. So I think my question is really more
about the linkage between cells instead of the merging cells.

Let's say I have a worksheet tab for data entry (sheet1) that has a cell
linked to a cell in another tab (sheet2) - one cell linking to one cell. The
destination cell (in sheet2) will not autofit to the wrapped text. Instead,
I have to manually resize the row to see all of the entered text. Is there a
way to set it up so that if data is entered into the cell in sheet1 the cell
height in sheet2 automatically expands to accommodate all of the text without
a manual adjustment?

wrote:

Hi Greg,

Great code! Works like a charm. I found an area where this does not appear
to work. Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated. I have an
Excel spreadsheet where information is entered in cells on one tab. Those

"Stephen Sandor" wrote:

I have merged a number of cells and included text that wraps in the cell. Is
it possible to set the cell so that the height is automatically adjusted to
the height of the text?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

If destination cell is set to wrap text and autofit you still have to
d-click on the bottom edge of the row header.

I don't know if the results of a formula will trigger the autofit.

Won't on my 2003 version.

Gord

"Stephen Sandor" wrote:

I have merged a number of cells and included text that wraps in the cell. Is
it possible to set the cell so that the height is automatically adjusted to
the height of the text?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hello

Would somebody mind to please explain this auto set row height in very
beginner terms? I am not in any way Excel Savvy. But I do have one very
simple project in Excel I am trying to complete. Very simply, I have a
"master" workbook that is to update other workbooks with exact text entered
in the master. No calculation or other fancy stuff, just the means of
entering text once and having it be copied to other workbooks. I am learning
as I go and for the most part I have a good handle on this simple process.
There are areas where an auto height adjustment of both the source field and
the targeted fields would be very useful. Cells do not need to be merged
cells. Simple copy/paste example would be greatly appreciated.
For an example that I could copy/past:
the source cell could be A19 and the target cell in a different workbook
could be B37.

Thank you for anyone who wishes to take the time to explain how this is put
into play
Nelson

"Stephen Sandor" wrote:

I have merged a number of cells and included text that wraps in the cell. Is
it possible to set the cell so that the height is automatically adjusted to
the height of the text?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I need to do exactly this in Excel 2007. I am not able to get the row auto
height to work. I can't even double click on the row header to make it
happen. Only dragging each individual row is working. I would greatly
appreciate some assistance getting this module to work in 2007. Thanks much!

"Stephen Sandor" wrote:

I have merged a number of cells and included text that wraps in the cell. Is
it possible to set the cell so that the height is automatically adjusted to
the height of the text?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I'm not sure whats happened there but drop this in to the worksheet code
module:

Code:
--------------------
Target.Rows.EntireRow.AutoFit
End Sub
--------------------
every row you click should autofit!

--
The Code Cage Team

Regards,
The Code Cage Team
The Code Cage Team's Profile: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/member.php?userid=2
View this thread: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/sh...ad.php?t=37732

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Deb Deb is offline

I am having this problem, also.

Since I don't know what the "worksheet code module" is, the above does not
help me.

Need more explaination.

"Stephen Sandor" wrote:

I have merged a number of cells and included text that wraps in the cell. Is
it possible to set the cell so that the height is automatically adjusted to
the height of the text?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

If you're new to macros:

Debra Dalgleish has some notes how to implement macros he
http://www.contextures.com/xlvba01.html

David McRitchie has an intro to macros:

Ron de Bruin's intro to macros:
http://www.rondebruin.nl/code.htm

(General, Regular and Standard modules all describe the same thing.)

"Stephen Sandor" wrote:

I have merged a number of cells and included text that wraps in the cell. Is
it possible to set the cell so that the height is automatically adjusted to
the height of the text?

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I got this code to work, thank t=you very much, I have a question however
which is:
I have a number of merged cell instances within the same worksheet and
workbook where I need this functionality. I cannot get this code to work for
additional instances. Can you help?
Thank you.

"Stephen Sandor" wrote:

I have merged a number of cells and included text that wraps in the cell. Is
it possible to set the cell so that the height is automatically adjusted to
the height of the text?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Make appropriate changes to the range in Greg's code.

Wrap Text rowautofit must be enabled to start with.

If stuck, please post details of your merged cells area(s)

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

"Stephen Sandor" wrote:

I have merged a number of cells and included text that wraps in the cell. Is
it possible to set the cell so that the height is automatically adjusted to
the height of the text?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

HELP! Just need to have rows auto fit contents (expand). Do not understand
the complicated code referenced in this post or even where to copy and insert
this code. Why doesn't the "Auto fit Row Height" option work under
formatting?

"Stephen Sandor" wrote:

I have merged a number of cells and included text that wraps in the cell. Is
it possible to set the cell so that the height is automatically adjusted to
the height of the text?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Plain and simple...................If you have merged cells in the range,
Autofit won't work even with wraptext enabled.

You will need the code if you insist upon using merged cells.

The developers added the merge cells feature in Excel 97 without thinking
about row autofit functionality.

Have not bothered to correct since.

Gord

"Stephen Sandor" wrote:

I have merged a number of cells and included text that wraps in the cell. Is
it possible to set the cell so that the height is automatically adjusted to
the height of the text?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

"Stephen Sandor" wrote:

I have merged a number of cells and included text that wraps in the cell. Is
it possible to set the cell so that the height is automatically adjusted to
the height of the text?

I have carefully read through this discussion twice and I am no better off than when I started. There are obviously some very clever people trying their best to resolve a very simple problem. But clearly without success, as the same user problem is repeated many times. So to the basics.

Admit it, auto fit row height for a merged and wrapped cell (eg cells B5 to
J5) containing an unknown (and variable) number of charaters does not work,
has never worked.
Also, microsoft has known about this since 1997 or earlier.

As this is a pretty much basic function, microsoft must explain why it has
not been fixed.

It is all very well for the clever people to provide macro answers, but most
users do not know and do not use macros. So there has to be a better way that
the ordinary user can easily implement.

Notwithstanding the above, I am a low level macro user and the code provided
above baffles me. (MS Excel 2007)

I challenge microsoft to respond.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

"Stephen Sandor" wrote:

I have merged a number of cells and included text that wraps in the cell. Is
it possible to set the cell so that the height is automatically adjusted to
the height of the text?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I had the same issue. I found a work around for my situation. I made the
column as wider instead of merging cells, then when you select wrap text the
automatic row height works. It may not work for all but does for me.

"Stephen Sandor" wrote:

I have merged a number of cells and included text that wraps in the cell. Is
it possible to set the cell so that the height is automatically adjusted to
the height of the text?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Ruth

Do you have a question about this previous post you tacked onto?

Short answer...............merged cells do not allow row autofit unless you
employ VBA event code.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Fri, 22 Jan 2010 15:07:01 -0800, Ruth <Ruth @discussions.microsoft.com
wrote:

"Stephen Sandor" wrote:

I have merged a number of cells and included text that wraps in the cell. Is
it possible to set the cell so that the height is automatically adjusted to
the height of the text?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

It seems pretty silly that this is not intuitive. One way I know is highlight
all the rows, then on the left hand side of the spreadsheet, where the rows
are numbered double click with the left mouse button on the line between two
of the rows, and bingo :)

"Stephen Sandor" wrote:

I have merged a number of cells and included text that wraps in the cell. Is
it possible to set the cell so that the height is automatically adjusted to
the height of the text?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
sg sg is offline

Thanks Ruth. I tried this and it worked for me. I unmerged the cells and
then double clicked for auto row height and it worked.

"Stephen Sandor" wrote:

I have merged a number of cells and included text that wraps in the cell. Is
it possible to set the cell so that the height is automatically adjusted to
the height of the text?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I need help for a very similar problem:

NO merged cells
NO specialized formatting, and format is consistent across spreadsheet
cells are set to "wrap text"

When I click on "autofit row height", 90% of the rows become the correct
height, while 10% do not. I have a few thousand rows of data, and 26 columns
with varying amounts of text in them. Sometimes the row becomes too short,
sometimes too tall, and it can happen no matter how much or how little text
is in it.

Can I repeat that I DO NOT have any merged cells? I have searched online
for hours and no one seems to have an explanation or a solution.