Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default large file - copy and paste small group

I am working with a spreadsheet totaling 200,000 items. I am trying to copy
and paste 26,000 visible rows. Keep getting "too complex". I've tried Move
and copy entire cell directions and Copy visible cells only directions.
Still get the message. Any suggestions? Otherwise I will have to select
smaller versions of the 26,000 to get the job done. Shouldn't have to do
that.

--
Chel294
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

The problem is not the number of rows but the number of non-contiguous rows.
If you can temporarily sort the data to bring the visible cells to the top
then the copy will work. We don't know enough about your data to make better
suggestions. What does it look like, how is it grouped, meaning on what
criteria? Is there a common feature in one column that would indicate that
row will be visible?

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"CHEL294" wrote:

I am working with a spreadsheet totaling 200,000 items. I am trying to copy
and paste 26,000 visible rows. Keep getting "too complex". I've tried Move
and copy entire cell directions and Copy visible cells only directions.
Still get the message. Any suggestions? Otherwise I will have to select
smaller versions of the 26,000 to get the job done. Shouldn't have to do
that.

--
Chel294

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Shane,

Thank you very much for your explanation. Let me see if I can explain
this file. The file is part number specific, the multiple attributes
that go with that part are something like 70 columns wide. I could sort by
any particular attribute to get to a smaller version. Not all versions could
be sorted smallest to largest or alphabetically. So, getting the 26,000
items to the top is going to be next to impossible.

What I find interesting about Excel 2007, is we have the ability to get more
lines on a spreadsheet, but difficult to impossible to manipulate. I
could do this function all day long in Excel 95 (with 65,000 line items).
It didn't matter if the selection was non-continguous. Do I sound
frustrated? I am.
--
Chel294