Mary Ann

Default Countif cell greater than average

I want to be able to count how many cells hold numbers which are greater than
the average of the cells. I have a cell which shows the average and want to
be able to refer to that cell in the criteria for the COUNTIF function.

For example, if the cells to be counted are in A1:A10 and the average of
those is in A11 I have tried COUNTIF(A1:A10,€ťA11€ť but it doesnt work!

I am using 2003

RagDyer

You almost got it.

Try this:

=COUNTIF(A1:A10,""&A11)

--
HTH,

RD

"Mary Ann" wrote in message
I want to be able to count how many cells hold numbers which are greater

than
the average of the cells. I have a cell which shows the average and want

be able to refer to that cell in the criteria for the COUNTIF function.

For example, if the cells to be counted are in A1:A10 and the average of
those is in A11 I have tried COUNTIF(A1:A10,€ťA11€ť but it doesnt work!

I am using 2003

Brian Synowiec

Mary Ann-

Try this:
=COUNTIF(A1:A0,""&A11)

"Mary Ann" wrote:

I want to be able to count how many cells hold numbers which are greater than
the average of the cells. I have a cell which shows the average and want to
be able to refer to that cell in the criteria for the COUNTIF function.

For example, if the cells to be counted are in A1:A10 and the average of
those is in A11 I have tried COUNTIF(A1:A10,€ťA11€ť but it doesnt work!

I am using 2003

Brian Synowiec

Sorry, should have been:

=COUNTIF(A1:A10,""&A11)

"Brian Synowiec" wrote:

Mary Ann-

Try this:
=COUNTIF(A1:A0,""&A11)

"Mary Ann" wrote:

I want to be able to count how many cells hold numbers which are greater than
the average of the cells. I have a cell which shows the average and want to
be able to refer to that cell in the criteria for the COUNTIF function.

For example, if the cells to be counted are in A1:A10 and the average of
those is in A11 I have tried COUNTIF(A1:A10,€ťA11€ť but it doesnt work!

I am using 2003

Mary Ann

Thanks to you both. Presumably I can use the & to connect the operator to a
full function as well as just a cell reference. E.g.
=Countif(A1:A10,€ť€ť&AVERAGE(A1:A10))

"RagDyer" wrote:

You almost got it.

Try this: