Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
krakowba

Default How do I work out people's exact ages from their Dates of Birth?

I want to develop a quick list of friends and family's ages. How do I get
Excel to work out someone's age from their date of birth.

I've tried using the Year function but that seems to round up to the nearest
full year - so someone who is say 21 will be shown as 22 as it merely
subtracts in whole years.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi

Have a look he
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/datedif.htm#Age

Andy.

"krakowba" wrote in message
I want to develop a quick list of friends and family's ages. How do I get
Excel to work out someone's age from their date of birth.

I've tried using the Year function but that seems to round up to the
nearest
full year - so someone who is say 21 will be shown as 22 as it merely
subtracts in whole years.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
RagDyeR

Use the Datedif function, which is undocumented, except in XL2K.

Find instructions at Chip Pearson's site:

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/datedif.htm
--

HTH,

RD

"krakowba" wrote in message
I want to develop a quick list of friends and family's ages. How do I get
Excel to work out someone's age from their date of birth.

I've tried using the Year function but that seems to round up to the nearest
full year - so someone who is say 21 will be shown as 22 as it merely
subtracts in whole years.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Sloth

=INT((A2-A1)/365)
and
=DATEDIF(A1,A2,"Y")
will both return the number of years between two dates. A1 is the
birthdate, and A2 is TODAY(). You might need to reformat the cell as general
after you put in the formula (it might try and output as a date otherwise).

You can also use the DATEDIF to get something like
22 years and 5 months
with this formula
=DATEDIF(A1,A2,"Y")&" years, and "&DATEDIF(A1,A2,"YM")&" months."

"krakowba" wrote:

I want to develop a quick list of friends and family's ages. How do I get
Excel to work out someone's age from their date of birth.

I've tried using the Year function but that seems to round up to the nearest
full year - so someone who is say 21 will be shown as 22 as it merely
subtracts in whole years.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
via135

hi

another try!

let us assume the date of birth is in A1

enter the formula in A2

=DATEDIF(A1,TODAY(),"Y")&"YEARS,"&DATEDIF(A1,TODAY (),"YM")&"MONTHS,"&DATEDIF(A1,TODAY(),"MD")&"DAYS. "

is it ok?

-via135

--
via135
via135's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=26725

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
krakowba

Default How do I work out people's exact ages from their Dates of Birt

Thanks - works perfectly!

"via135" wrote:

hi

another try!

let us assume the date of birth is in A1

enter the formula in A2

=DATEDIF(A1,TODAY(),"Y")&"YEARS,"&DATEDIF(A1,TODAY (),"YM")&"MONTHS,"&DATEDIF(A1,TODAY(),"MD")&"DAYS. "

is it ok?

-via135

--
via135
via135's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=26725
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=503394

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
krakowba

Thank you - and also thanks to everyone else who responded to my post. I've
tried out the advice and it works fine.