Birdie

Default new chart types

HELP! I am doing a presentation on osteoporosis and one statistic I want to
bring to life is "1 of 2 women". I have seen similar data portrayed by a
picture of women with 1 out of 2 highlighted. Does such a graph exist in
excel or hpw would I create one? Thank you so much. Lisa
Tushar Mehta

This requires a little bit of work but is not too difficult.

I will assume you have a picture you like. In an image editing program
save a copy of the picture with transparency set to 70 to 75%
(experiment with this for the visual effect that appeals to you).

In XL, create the chart as follows.

Suppose you want to show "1 out of 2 women." Then, in some cell enter
1 and in the adjacent cell to the right enter =2-1. Now, plot the 2
cells in a pie chart. Select the pie in the chart. Pause and double-
click the first wedge. From the Patterns tab, click 'Fill Effects...'
From the Picture tab, click 'Select Picture...' Locate and select the
appropriate picture. OK all open dialog boxes. Do the same for the
2nd wedge of the pie chart, this time picking the transparent version
of the picture.

You can use the same method for multiple data points. I tested with:
1 2
2 2
3 2
where the 2 columns represent x women out of y in some different
categories (1 out of 3, 2 out of 4, 3 out of 5).

I created a column chart ('stacked' subtype). Double-clicked the first
(lower) series and selected the non-transparent picture. Double-
clicked the 2nd series and selected the transparent picture. In this
case, I got 3 columns where the lower segment had the normal picture
and the upper segment had the transparent image.

Tushar Mehta
www.tushar-mehta.com
Custom MS Office productivity solutions

In article ,
says...
HELP! I am doing a presentation on osteoporosis and one statistic I want to
bring to life is "1 of 2 women". I have seen similar data portrayed by a
picture of women with 1 out of 2 highlighted. Does such a graph exist in
excel or hpw would I create one? Thank you so much. Lisa

Tushar Mehta

Keeping in mind that I am not an expert on image editing programs...

*The* standard is Adobe Photoshop but is priced at a gazillion dollars.

From what I understand, Adobe Photoshop Elements is much more
reasonably priced and does 85-90% of Photoshop itself.

I've read a lot of good things about JASC's Paint Shop Pro (PSP). The
web site is www.jasc.com.

I have no idea how capable the various Microsoft programs are.

Saving for last is the program I use. I'm still using Microsoft's
PhotoDraw v2, even though it was discontinued 3 years ago. Why? I own
Photoshop and Photodraw and both had a reasonably intensive learning
curve. Having invested all that time in PhotoDraw, I am trying to
delay making a commitment to the next program -- probably PSP or
(somewhat less likely) Elements.