Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default How to make random numbers stay the same

I am making a sample inspection database and I want to assign random numbers
to a series of cells. When I make a change or open the spreadsheet, the
numbers all change to a new random number. How can I use the formula but
make it keep the random numbers that it chooses?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

You can use a macro but another way is to generate the random numbers and
copy them. paste them to a new location using

PasteSpecial|Values

Mike

"wyobuff" wrote:

I am making a sample inspection database and I want to assign random numbers
to a series of cells. When I make a change or open the spreadsheet, the
numbers all change to a new random number. How can I use the formula but
make it keep the random numbers that it chooses?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I would say the easiest is to copy the cells, then paste special/values to
get rid of the formula.

Or, if this is the only calculation in the workbook and you feel the desire,
you can go to Tools - Options - Calculation tab and change to manual, but I
wouldn't suggest that unless you can remember to change it back when
necessary.

"wyobuff" wrote:

I am making a sample inspection database and I want to assign random numbers
to a series of cells. When I make a change or open the spreadsheet, the
numbers all change to a new random number. How can I use the formula but
make it keep the random numbers that it chooses?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

There is another simple way, if you have the Analysis ToolPak add-in attached:

Choose Tools, Data Analysis, Random Number Generation, enter 1 in the Number
of Variables, enter the number of numbers you want in Number of Random
Numbers, choose Uniform under Distribution, click Output Range and indicate
the top cell of the range you want to fill.

--
Thanks,
Shane Devenshire