Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Taskbar display order

I noticed today the unlike other programs Excel displays its name before the
file name in the task bar, this makes it very hard to tell which file is
being worked on if the task bar is full, or if the resolution of the computer
is low. I think the name and the file name should be swapped to be like Word
which shows the name first.

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

All Office programs behave the same way. That has nothing to do with Excel.
That is a Windows setting. The setting is in Control Panel - Taskbar and
Start Menu -Taskbar, Uncheck "Group similar taskbar buttons". You will now
have a button for each open workbook.

Tyro

"Thomas Dziuk" wrote in message
I noticed today the unlike other programs Excel displays its name before
the
file name in the task bar, this makes it very hard to tell which file is
being worked on if the task bar is full, or if the resolution of the
computer
is low. I think the name and the file name should be swapped to be like
Word
which shows the name first.

----------------
this
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I know this isn't right, or at least isn't a correct interpretation of what I
am seeing as wrong.

Let me explain the steps to see what I see.

Run Microsoft Word
-A new item should appear on your taskbar, for me it shows the Word Document
symbol and then have next to it Document 1 - Microsoft Word

Run Microsoft Excel
- A new item should appear on your taskbar, for me it should the Excel
symbol and next to it says simply Microsoft Excel

For me it doesn't show the name of the excel file im working on, and this is
after i made the change you suggested.

"Tyro" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Also if I go into excel and maximize the new book it created the task bar
item changes from Microsoft Excel to Microsoft Excel - Book 1

This is what confuses me. If i have more items on my task bar and the
ammount of space given to that item is reduced then i won't be able to see
the Book 1 Part at all,

but if I look at the Word item it starts with the name of the document I am
working on.

I am just confused why it changes between the two programs, I can't seem to
find a setting to inverse the parts.

"Tyro" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The only option I see in Excel 2007 that affects the task bar is Excel
Options - Advanced - Display - Show all windows in the taskbar. Whether that
option is checked or not, the only time that I see Microsoft Excel by itself
in the taskbar button is when there is no open workbook or when there are
too many open workbooks to display in individual buttons. If a workbook is
open, the name of the workbook is in the button.

"Tyro" wrote:

[...]

suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the
"I
this
link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and
then
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thomas

Could be a while before your suggestion is implemented.

In the meantime, place this code in your Personal.xls.

The code turns off the "Microsoft Excel" caption for that session of Excel.

Sub Workbook_Open()
Application.Caption = " "
ActiveWindow.Caption = ActiveWorkbook.Name
End Sub

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP