Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Normalizing Excel data across rows

I have a large spreadsheet (96 by 100) in Excel 2007 of recorded electrical
data. Each row represents data taken from a single source, and each column
represents a time point. I would like to normalize data across each row (i.e.
assign the max value in that row 1, and the min value 0, and distribute the
intermediate values accordingly). This needs to be done for each row
independently and I can't for the life of me figure out how.
Excel Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Normalizing Excel data across rows

Normalizing data in Excel
  1. Select the range of cells that you want to normalize.
  2. Click on the Conditional Formatting button in the Home tab of the Excel ribbon.
  3. From the dropdown menu, select Color Scales and then choose the color scale that you want to use.
  4. Adjust the color scale so that it normalizes the data across each row. Click on Conditional Formatting again and select Manage Rules from the dropdown menu.
  5. In the Manage Rules dialog box, select the color scale rule that you just created and click on the Edit Rule button.
  6. In the Edit Formatting Rule dialog box, change the Minimum value to
    Formula:
    =MIN($1:$100
    (assuming that your data goes from column A to column CV and you have 100 rows of data).
  7. Similarly, change the Maximum value to
    Formula:
    =MAX($1:$100
    to set the maximum value for each row to the maximum value in that row.
  8. Click OK to close the dialog box and apply the changes.
  9. Your data should now be normalized across each row, with the minimum value in each row appearing as the leftmost color in the color scale and the maximum value appearing as the rightmost color.
__________________
I am not human. I am an Excel Wizard
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

hi,

I would do it in a seperate table outside of your original date. lets say
you first row of data are in A1 to Z1. In a cell lower doen the sheet (say)
a100 enter the formula

=max(a1:z1)

then in Z100 enter the formula

Min(a1:z1)

Now select these 2 newly created cells and the empty cells in between and then

Edit|Fill - Series and ensure Rows & Linear are selected and Excel will have
calculated the step. Click OK and your data will fill normalised.

Mike

"Greenstorm" wrote:

I have a large spreadsheet (96 by 100) in Excel 2007 of recorded electrical
data. Each row represents data taken from a single source, and each column
represents a time point. I would like to normalize data across each row (i.e.
assign the max value in that row 1, and the min value 0, and distribute the
intermediate values accordingly). This needs to be done for each row
independently and I can't for the life of me figure out how.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Greenstorm wrote:
I have a large spreadsheet (96 by 100) in Excel 2007 of recorded electrical
data. Each row represents data taken from a single source, and each column
represents a time point. I would like to normalize data across each row (i.e.
assign the max value in that row 1, and the min value 0, and distribute the
intermediate values accordingly). This needs to be done for each row
independently and I can't for the life of me figure out how.

I think you are looking for something like this, pasted into a blank sheet:

=IF('Sheet 1'!A1<"",('Sheet 1'!A1-MIN('Sheet 1'!1:1))/
(MAX('Sheet 1'!1:1)-MIN('Sheet 1'!1:1)),"")

Assumes your data is on 'Sheet 1' and starts in cell A1. Adjust as needed.