Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Copy Left Word

Hi

I have a column that contains cells with tag numbers and description, I need
to extract the tag number and place this two cells to the right, ie I need to
copy the left most string within a cell.

Thanks
Alec

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Try this:

=LEFT(A1,FIND(" ",A1)-1)

Finds where the first space is and then extracts the characters to the
left of that.

Hope this helps.

Pete

"Alectrical" wrote:

Hi

I have a column that contains cells with tag numbers and description, I need
to extract the tag number and place this two cells to the right, ie I need to
copy the left most string within a cell.

Thanks
Alec- Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Thu, 3 Jul 2008 03:00:02 -0700, Alectrical
wrote:

Hi

I have a column that contains cells with tag numbers and description, I need
to extract the tag number and place this two cells to the right, ie I need to
copy the left most string within a cell.

Thanks
Alec

Since you give no examples of your data, is it safe to assume that the first
<space in your string separates the tag number from the description?

If so, you can use a formula, in the 2nd cell to the right, similar to:

=left(cell_ref,find(" ",cell_ref)-1)

IF not, you will need to provide more information.
--ron

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You're welcome.

Pete