Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default Chart Won't Display Properly

Would really appreciate some help with this ...

Trying to put the following data into a chart, which shows the the spread of
employees over certain ages:
Age Number
22 3
25 2
26 3
27 11
28 17
29 18
30 15
31 22
32 16
33 21
34 32

- The way I want this to work is to have the ages ascending on the x axis
and the number shown in columns for the y axis.
*But* when I use the auto-chart feature, it puts this into two data series,
one for Age & one for Number, with a load on nonsense on the x & y axes..
Please help!!

Many thanks,

Kelvin
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

On Mon, 22 Oct 2007, in microsoft.public.excel.charting,
Kelvin said:
The way I want this to work is to have the ages ascending on the x axis
and the number shown in columns for the y axis.
*But* when I use the auto-chart feature, it puts this into two data series,
one for Age & one for Number, with a load on nonsense on the x & y axes..

There's two things you need to do that Excel isn't good at prompting you
to do. One is to choose as a chart type, not Line Chart, but XY
(Scatter) Chart. The other is to (for now) leave the cell where you
currently have "Age" blank. The blank cell is to cue the Excel Chart
Wizard which rows are the labels, and which columns are the X-axis.

Try that and see if it helps. After you've made the chart, it's okay to
put the word "Age" back in.

--
Del Cotter
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

EXCELLENT!!
That works fine and you have certainly saved me from ending up in poo creek
at work - they might even let me come back next week!!

All the best