Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Any new developments in the Excel 2007 slow charting problem?

Hi,

I have a spreadsheet that draws a chart with VBA from a largeish
dataset. In Excel 2000 and 2003 the code runs in a fraction of a
second and is perfectly fine. With 2007 on the same machine, however,
the code crawls. It redraws the chart at every step of code (even when
the code has nothing to do with the chart), ignoring ScreenUpdating =
False and Calculation = xlManual. One of my Core 2 processors maxes
out (1GB RAM) and the fan pulses each step too. Eventually it seems as
if Excel just gives up and the system crashes.

Having read around this Group it seems like this was a noted as a
problem earlier in the year. For me it is a complete show-stopper and
makes Excel 2007 essentially useless. Feeling quite ripped off,
actually.

Is there anything we/I can do about this? Any help / suggestions on
what to do next much appreciated.

Cheers

Gromit

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

A couple of different opinions from the excel.charting newsgroup...
http://tinyurl.com/26o53u
--
Jim Cone
San Francisco, USA

wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Have your tried the hotfix posted
at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/938538
Other have reported "incredible " speed increase
best wishes

--
Bernard Liengme
http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks Jim and Bernard,
I have a support request into MS to get hold of this hotfix - I'll let
you know how it goes for my application - thanks again,
Gromit

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi

I gave up waiting for MS to contact me regarding the hotfix, and
downloaded it instead from http://thehotfixshare.net. It installed OK
and it fixed the recalculate-and-slowly-redraw-while-stepping-through
problem. Excel still crashed though. I stepped through, and by trial
and error found that the offending line of code was this:

With cht.SeriesCollection(n)

'Causes crash in excel 2007
.Border.ColorIndex = DataCols.Cells(i).Offset(3, 0)

End With

I thought this might be a datatype problem, and sure enough this fixed
it:

With cht.SeriesCollection(n)

'No more crashes in excel 2007
.Border.ColorIndex = CLng(DataCols.Cells(i).Offset(3, 0))

End With

Weird. Anyway, everything now seems to be working OK. The charting
seems to be just as quick as with versions 2000 and 2003. Thanks again
for the help,

Gromit

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Still no actual fix for this?

As the newest grad student in my lab, I was given the "privilege" of a
complete
Office 2007 upgrade before everyone else.
This chart-making=frozen PC in Excel
combined with the Use-New-Equation-Editor=Can't Even Save (!) Your Word File
(you've wokred on for hours) Crash Bug
has made Office 2007 a COMPLETE DISASTER for my research,
I've wasted hours, days, on this, but thanks to these forums, so I can know
it's not me, or my PC, but rather a bug MSoft has just decided to ignore.

How many scientists and engineers can get by with Excel that can't graph,
and Word that can't do equations?

Pathetic.

I will recommend nobody else in my department or my entire university
"upgrade" to his bug-filled piece of crap, with NO REAL SUPPORT!!!!!!

Back to OpenOffice for me.