Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default Combination Graph with current year and prior year sales

I'm trying to create a graph showing sales results for 5 organizations over 3
individual quarters, for current and prior year. My plan was to show current
year as a bar chart with the 5 organizations each having their own bar for
each quarter (therefore there will be 15 bars). I then want to show the
prior year data as a line chart, again 5 lines and 15 data points.

I've tried several options and my issue is that the data points (labels) for
the line charts are in line, in the middle of each quarter, and I would like
the data labels to begin and terminate within the corresponding bar. That
is, I'd like to see the data point for business A, prior year, inside the bar
for Business A, current year, and the same scenario for the other 4
businesses.

Is this possible
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

JanW,

Yes, believe that is possible. If you download and install Rob Bovey's data
labeling utility, you can precision move any of the data labels on your chart
to where you would like them to appear. A link to the tool is below:

http://www.appspro.com/Utilities/ChartLabeler.htm

-----------------
John Mansfield

"JanW" wrote:

I'm trying to create a graph showing sales results for 5 organizations over 3
individual quarters, for current and prior year. My plan was to show current
year as a bar chart with the 5 organizations each having their own bar for
each quarter (therefore there will be 15 bars). I then want to show the
prior year data as a line chart, again 5 lines and 15 data points.

I've tried several options and my issue is that the data points (labels) for
the line charts are in line, in the middle of each quarter, and I would like
the data labels to begin and terminate within the corresponding bar. That
is, I'd like to see the data point for business A, prior year, inside the bar
for Business A, current year, and the same scenario for the other 4
businesses.

Is this possible

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Here's how, but it's going to be hard to read:

http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/...olAndLine.html

Another option is to make small multiples, that is, ten small line charts,
one for each company/each year. Or five, one for each company, with lines
for this year and last year. Or even two, one for each year, with the five
companies as lines on each.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP