AllieB

Default Simple formulas in existing Excel 2002 no longer working.

I've been entering data in an Excel spreadsheet since September 2004. This
morning, I noticed that the formulas in the spreadsheet are no longer
working. For example: =sum(c4:m10) should give me a total in the cell in
which I have entered the formula (assuming there's data between c4 and m10).
I've checked the syntax on all of my fomulas, row and column numbers and the
formulas still don't return any value at all. Can someone help?
Paul B

Allie, if you hit F9 do the formulas recalculate? if is check and see if
calculation has somehow got set to manual, tools options, calculation and
check automatic
--
Paul B
Using Excel 2002 & 2003

"AllieB" wrote in message
I've been entering data in an Excel spreadsheet since September 2004. This
morning, I noticed that the formulas in the spreadsheet are no longer
working. For example: =sum(c4:m10) should give me a total in the cell
in
which I have entered the formula (assuming there's data between c4 and
m10).
I've checked the syntax on all of my fomulas, row and column numbers and
the
formulas still don't return any value at all. Can someone help?

Naz

Hi

Does it give you any error or anything or does the cell simply show the
formula i.e. =sum(c4:m10).
Because if it does then its the formatting of the cell that has gone wrong.
Change the format to formula. If that doesn't work see if the formula works
in another cell elsewhere in the worksheet. And where possible try to use a
different cell.
--

_______________________
Naz,

"AllieB" wrote:

I've been entering data in an Excel spreadsheet since September 2004. This
morning, I noticed that the formulas in the spreadsheet are no longer
working. For example: =sum(c4:m10) should give me a total in the cell in
which I have entered the formula (assuming there's data between c4 and m10).
I've checked the syntax on all of my fomulas, row and column numbers and the
formulas still don't return any value at all. Can someone help?

David McRitchie

Hi Naz,
There is no format of "formula" perhaps "General" would work
for your comment, and then hit F2 then enter.

Hi Allie,
Back to continuation of Paul's which he
hit F9 do the formulas recalculate? if they do then check and see if
calculation has somehow got set to manual, tools options, calculation and
check automatic

More things
hit F2 then Enter. of that works then either Calculation was turned off,
or you changed the Format. A change from one number format to another number
format is effective immediately, but most other changes are not effective until data
is reentered. In other words a Text format stays as text with the data, even after
changing the format until you reenter the data.

You may have spaces, such as before the equal sign, or spaces that in some manner
make the cell appear as text to Excel. To remove extraneous spaces see TRIMALL macro in
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel...tm#trimall.htm

Macros will not see a single quote in front of content, which is used to indicate
that the information is text, but you can look for that single quote by selecting the
cell and looking at the formula bar.o

--
HTH,

"Naz" wrote ...