Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ben Ben is offline

Default Deleting the area code on excel spread sheet phone numbers??

Trying to "edit" a spreadsheet of phone numbers so that no area code is
listed. 240 in all, too many to do each one manually.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

What is the format currently?

Please post an example and will be easy to answer.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Tue, 2 Oct 2007 18:49:01 -0700, Ben wrote:

Trying to "edit" a spreadsheet of phone numbers so that no area code is
listed. 240 in all, too many to do each one manually.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You'll need to tell us the format of the numbers, and what your rule is for
defining the area code.

In this country there is frequent confusion with people quoting area codes
of 0207 and 0208 when the area code is 020, and similarly quoting 02392 when
it is 023. In the UK, the area code may be 3, 4, 5, or 6 digits (including
the zero at the beginning).
--
David Biddulph

"Ben" wrote in message
Trying to "edit" a spreadsheet of phone numbers so that no area code is
listed. 240 in all, too many to do each one manually.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If your phone numbers in A1 a 123 456 7890 or 123-456-7890 or
123.456.7890 or (123) 456-7890 then B1=RIGHT(A1,8) will work.

"Ben" wrote in message
Trying to "edit" a spreadsheet of phone numbers so that no area code is
listed. 240 in all, too many to do each one manually.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Wondering wrote on Tue, 2 Oct 2007 19:39:36 -0700:

W If your phone numbers in A1 a 123 456 7890 or
123-456-7890
W or 123.456.7890 or (123) 456-7890 then B1=RIGHT(A1,8) will
W work.

W "Ben" wrote in message
W ...
?? Trying to "edit" a spreadsheet of phone numbers so that no
?? area code is listed. 240 in all, too many to do each one
?? manually.

I wonder how long it will be before this question becomes moot?
However, I have no real idea how many places still use 7-digit
phone numbers for local calls and I was surprised to find that
San Francisco was among them.

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations: