Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Tom Z.

Default How do I print comments on a chart?

Using Excel, I have data numbers added in some cells. In those cells, I have
inserted comments. When printing the chart, I want those comments printed
next to the plotted data point.

Can that be done? If so, how?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Jon Peltier

Put the comments into another column, then use one of these free Excel
add-ins to use these cells to label the points.

Rob Bovey's Chart Labeler, http://appspro.com
John Walkenbach's Chart Tools, http://j-walk.com

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

"Tom Z." <Tom wrote in message
Using Excel, I have data numbers added in some cells. In those cells, I
have
inserted comments. When printing the chart, I want those comments printed
next to the plotted data point.

Can that be done? If so, how?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
tom zane

Thank you very much, but those two programs are not doing what I need:

I am entering number data per month - For example, January - 10; February
24; March - 3; April - 15; and so on. I do this each month throughout the
year, and I have multiple years entered.

I then construct line charts showing the data across a several-month period.
It could be one calendar year, or it could be March 2004 through March 2005.

I need to occasionally label ONE month's data; then, whenever i change the
source data for the next chart, that label needs to STICK WITH the assigned
data point and move with it when the new chart is constructed.

Additionally, I need a (what I call) a phase-change line to be linked to the
data point and the data label. This line is a vertical line from the data
label at the top of the chart, down through the data point to the x-axis at
the bottom. And this line needs to be locked (stick with) the data point and
label as I change the source data for a new chart.

Does this make sense? Can this be done?

"Tom Z." <Tom wrote in message
Using Excel, I have data numbers added in some cells. In those cells, I
have
inserted comments. When printing the chart, I want those comments printed
next to the plotted data point.

Can that be done? If so, how?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Jon Peltier

Tom -

Excel remembers that a label goes with point X of a series, so if your data
range still includes the point, but dynamically you've moved it to point Y,
the label stays at X. You need to use a dummy series then for your labels
and phase-change line. I think I would add each phase change line as a
separate one-point series so that the point (no marker) coincides with the
point you want to highlight, and the point anchors the label. Use the label
text as the series title, and it's easier to apply to the point than having
to use one of these addins. Then use Y error bars that will reach down to
the bottom and up to the top of the chart. It's related to this example:

http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/...ertErrBar.html

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services - Tutorials and Custom Solutions -
http://PeltierTech.com/
2006 Excel User Conference, 19-21 April, Atlantic City, NJ
http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ExcelUserConf06.html
_______

"Tom Z." <Tom wrote in message
Using Excel, I have data numbers added in some cells. In those cells, I
have
inserted comments. When printing the chart, I want those comments
printed
next to the plotted data point.

Can that be done? If so, how?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
tom zane

Mr. Peltier:

Thank you again for your response. I hate to appear a dunce, but I am not
understanding. I seem to be able to make a vertical line by using a Y bar,
but to do that, I simply add another column of "phase changes", and on a
particular month, in that column I had a number, high up on the Y scale. Then
that number is plotted separately on the chart. I then click on that and set
a Y bar at 100%, and the line goes down the graph all the way to the X axis.

However, when I then make another chart using a different set of source
data, that line seems to disappear, even if that particular month is part of
the graph.

Furthermore, I was not clear on what I meant by labeling that phase change.
I didn't mean data label for the data series. I meant a label describing what
the vertical line MEANS. FOr example, on one month, a particular child might
have started a new medication, so I would want that vertical line to be a
graphical statement of a change in the child's program, and then I want a
label, RIGHT ON THE CHART, next to the vertical line, that says "MED CHANGE."
I have been trying to use text boxes, but they don't stay locked to the
particular month when I move to a new source data and the month shifts
position on the graph.

Does this make sense? Thanks again for your time and help.

"Tom Z." <Tom wrote in message
Using Excel, I have data numbers added in some cells. In those cells, I
have
inserted comments. When printing the chart, I want those comments
printed
next to the plotted data point.

Can that be done? If so, how?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
tom zane

Mr. Peltier:

Two questions:

1. Using XY Chart labeler, if I make a label for a data point, and then
change the source data, will that label stay with that data point?

2. Is there some way that Excel can chart text onto a chart? If so, perhaps
that would be the easiest solution.
Thanks.

"Tom Z." <Tom wrote in message
Using Excel, I have data numbers added in some cells. In those cells, I
have
inserted comments. When printing the chart, I want those comments
printed
next to the plotted data point.

Can that be done? If so, how?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
tom zane

Mr. Peltier:

Hi again. I answered my own question. When I use XY Chart Labeler, and then
change the source data, the data label STAYS PUT and does not change position
with the data point to which it was assigned.

So, I still am trying to figure out how I can put a vertical line in at a
particular month, label what happened that month, and have that line and
label move with that month's data when I change the source data.

I thank you for your help.

"Tom Z." <Tom wrote in message
Using Excel, I have data numbers added in some cells. In those cells, I
have
inserted comments. When printing the chart, I want those comments
printed
next to the plotted data point.

Can that be done? If so, how?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Jon Peltier

If you use the Chart Labeler, and use one of the default position options,
as long as the order of points hasn't changed, the label will move around
with the point. If you readjust the label position, then Excel no longer
tries to figure out where it should go automatically, so the label stays in
place.

You mentioned how you had put a label near the top and used a -100% error
bar. This is almost enough. If I want a label just below the top of the
chart, I'll put a point at around 90% of the height, assign the label to
that point, then use custom +10% and -90% error bar values.

- Jon
-------

"Tom Z." <Tom wrote in message
Using Excel, I have data numbers added in some cells. In those
cells, I
have
inserted comments. When printing the chart, I want those comments
printed
next to the plotted data point.

Can that be done? If so, how?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Jon Peltier

1. Discussed in response to your other post.
2. Make a data series with x,y pairs where you want to center a label. Plot
the points in an XY series, use the chart labeler to apply the labels, using
the Center alignment option, then format the series without lines or
markers. It is an easy solution, once you get the hang of it.

- Jon
-------

"Tom Z." <Tom wrote in message
Using Excel, I have data numbers added in some cells. In those
cells, I
have
inserted comments. When printing the chart, I want those comments
printed
next to the plotted data point.

Can that be done? If so, how?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Jon Peltier

Hi Tom -

See comments inline

Thank you again for your response. I hate to appear a dunce, but I am not
understanding. I seem to be able to make a vertical line by using a Y bar,
but to do that, I simply add another column of "phase changes", and on a
particular month, in that column I had a number, high up on the Y scale.
Then
that number is plotted separately on the chart. I then click on that and
set
a Y bar at 100%, and the line goes down the graph all the way to the X
axis.

However, when I then make another chart using a different set of source
data, that line seems to disappear, even if that particular month is part
of
the graph.

Did you include the phase change source data in this chart? You need to
include it and format the line the way you need it. Or make a copy of the
original chart, and use Chart menu Source Data Series tab, to select
different data for the main series.

Furthermore, I was not clear on what I meant by labeling that phase
change.
I didn't mean data label for the data series. I meant a label describing
what
the vertical line MEANS. FOr example, on one month, a particular child
might

That's what I thought you meant, but perhaps my response wasn't clear. I
made a suggestion to your other follow up.

have started a new medication, so I would want that vertical line to be a
graphical statement of a change in the child's program, and then I want a
label, RIGHT ON THE CHART, next to the vertical line, that says "MED
CHANGE."
I have been trying to use text boxes, but they don't stay locked to the
particular month when I move to a new source data and the month shifts
position on the graph.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services - Tutorials and Custom Solutions -
http://PeltierTech.com/
2006 Excel User Conference, 19-21 April, Atlantic City, NJ
http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ExcelUserConf06.html
_______

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
tom zane

Mr. Peltier:

Thank you for your help. I am using your instructions (AddLineVertERRBar)
and have a couple of questions:

1. you mention, "If the X values are text categories, you should enter the
number "i" to have your indicator line fall on the "i"th column...." I don't
understand that at all. My X axis is in months (Jan, Feb, Mar). What do you
mean by "i"? Please help.

2. When I add XY data, it is plotted, but NOT where I want the indicator
line to be. And I also noticed in your example that YOUR indicator line that
should be at 11/9/02 is NOT at that point - it is at a different point along
the X axis. How do I get my indicator line to be exactly where I want it to
be?

Thank you very much for your help, and I hope you aren't growing tired of my
inability to understand what you are talking about.

"Tom Z." <Tom wrote in message
Using Excel, I have data numbers added in some cells. In those
cells, I
have
inserted comments. When printing the chart, I want those comments
printed
next to the plotted data point.

Can that be done? If so, how?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Jon Peltier

See responses in line...

I am using your instructions (AddLineVertERRBar)
and have a couple of questions:

1. you mention, "If the X values are text categories, you should enter the
number "i" to have your indicator line fall on the "i"th column...." I
don't
understand that at all. My X axis is in months (Jan, Feb, Mar). What do
you
mean by "i"? Please help.

If your X values are text categories, such as "Red", "Orange", "Yellow",
etc., you need to use the index of the category item in the list. For
example, to line up with "Orange" in this sample list, use i=2 (1="Red",
2="Orange", 3="Yellow").

Are your months actual month names, as in "Jan", "Feb", "Mar", or are you
using a time scale axis that's displaying these months for X values of
dates. In other words, what exactly is your X data like?

2. When I add XY data, it is plotted, but NOT where I want the indicator
line to be. And I also noticed in your example that YOUR indicator line
that
should be at 11/9/02 is NOT at that point - it is at a different point
along
the X axis. How do I get my indicator line to be exactly where I want it
be?

When I finally finished formatting the axes and removing the axis I didn't
need, the line did in fact line up with 11/9/02. Earlier in the process it
lined up with 11/9/02 on the top (secondary) axis, but also with
"mid-morning" on 11/11/02 on the bottom (primary) axis.

- Jon
-------