scorpionest

Default What does the exclamation point (!) stand for in a math equation .

In Statistics or Math, does anyone know what the "!" (exclamation point)
stands for? Please HELP. Thank you!
Martin P

4!=4×3×2×1
7!=7×6×5×4×3×2×1
Not as obvious:
0!=1
To link your question to Excel, look up FACTORIAL in Help.

"scorpionest" wrote:

In Statistics or Math, does anyone know what the "!" (exclamation point)
stands for? Please HELP. Thank you!

Harlan Grove

"Alan Beban" wrote...
Once 0! is defined as being equal to 1, then n! =n((n - 1)!) for n a
positive integer.

It's not mere convention or just a definition. In Set Theory approach, n! is
the cardinality of the set of permutations of n items (similar to Excel's
PERMUT(n,n)). 1! = 1 because there's only permutation, {{a}}. 0! = 1 because
the the empty set counts as such a set, {{}}.

Max

(Re-sent, apologies for the unintentioned advance dating)

Think it stands for factorial, e.g.:

4! = 4 x 3 x 2 x 1 =24
3! = 3 x 2 x 1 = 6

and in Excel, you can use FACT() to calculate factorials

If you enter in A1: 4, put in B1: =FACT(A1)
B1 returns 24
--
Rgds
Max
"scorpionest" wrote in message
In Statistics or Math, does anyone know what the "!" (exclamation point)
stands for? Please HELP. Thank you!

Max

"Amedee Van Gasse" wrote
Max,
Your date is so very wrong that I will ignore you until 02/01/2025
18:35:32.

Hey <g, I did a re-post immediately then upon alert from a very alert Dave
P.<bg, with an apology for the unintentioned advance dating. The lame, but
true reason: just changed me ole' harddisk at that time, din't notice that
the sys date (year) was out by so much ..
--
Rgds
Max
GMT+8, 1° 22' N 103° 45' E
xdemechanik <atyahoo<dotcom
----

Dave Peterson

Which reminds me of a sign that was in one of my highschool class rooms:

Be Alert
(The world needs more lerts!)

Max wrote:

"Amedee Van Gasse" wrote
Max,
Your date is so very wrong that I will ignore you until 02/01/2025
18:35:32.

Hey <g, I did a re-post immediately then upon alert from a very alert Dave
P.<bg, with an apology for the unintentioned advance dating. The lame, but
true reason: just changed me ole' harddisk at that time, din't notice that
the sys date (year) was out by so much ..
--
Rgds
Max
xl 97
---
GMT+8, 1° 22' N 103° 45' E
xdemechanik <atyahoo<dotcom
----

--

Dave Peterson
Max

"Dave Peterson" wrote
.... reminds me of a sign that was in one of my highschool class rooms:
Be Alert

(The world needs more alerts!)

aha, gotcha ! <bg
--
Rgds
Max
GMT+8, 1° 22' N 103° 45' E
xdemechanik <atyahoo<dotcom
----

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default What does the exclamation point (!) stand for in a math equati

jfarrug wrote:
Now can anyone tell me how to call the excel "Fact(x)" function from a macro
where x can assume any positive value and is varied while the macro is
running?

"Max" wrote:

(Re-sent, apologies for the unintentioned advance dating)

Think it stands for factorial, e.g.:

4! = 4 x 3 x 2 x 1 =24
3! = 3 x 2 x 1 = 6

and in Excel, you can use FACT() to calculate factorials

If you enter in A1: 4, put in B1: =FACT(A1)
B1 returns 24
--
Rgds
Max
xl 97
---
GMT+8, 1° 22' N 103° 45' E
xdemechanik <atyahoo<dotcom
----
"scorpionest" wrote in message
In Statistics or Math, does anyone know what the "!" (exclamation point)
stands for? Please HELP. Thank you!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Any positive value can be pretty large...

But in general:

Option Explicit
Sub testme()

Dim myNum As Long
Dim myFact As Long 'Use Double for really big numbers

myNum = 7
myFact = Application.Fact(myNum)
MsgBox myFact

End Sub