Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup
Ben Ben is offline

Default How do I change File Open default directory from My Documents

Every time I open Excel 2002 and choose File Open it defaults to My
Documents.
While working in Excel, it will always remember the last directory I was in.
When I close, and then relaunch Excel, File Open defaults back to My
Documents.
Is there some way to change which directory is default when using File
Open.
I would like to do this without registry edits or changing the target path
of My Documents shortcut if possible.
Thanks in advance for any help!
Senior Member

Location: Hyderabad
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
Every time I open Excel 2002 and choose File Open it defaults to My
Documents.
While working in Excel, it will always remember the last directory I was in.
When I close, and then relaunch Excel, File Open defaults back to My
Documents.
Is there some way to change which directory is default when using File
Open.
I would like to do this without registry edits or changing the target path
of My Documents shortcut if possible.
Thanks in advance for any help!
Go to the tools/ options menu, select the "general" tab, there is a entry
for "default file location".

give the default file location, it will open from this path by default.

all the best
__________________
Thanks
Bala
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

ToolsOptionsGeneral

Default File Location is where you enter the path to your desired folder.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Sat, 29 May 2010 10:22:01 -0700, Ben
wrote:

Every time I open Excel 2002 and choose File Open it defaults to My
Documents.
While working in Excel, it will always remember the last directory I was in.
When I close, and then relaunch Excel, File Open defaults back to My
Documents.
Is there some way to change which directory is default when using File
Open.
I would like to do this without registry edits or changing the target path
of My Documents shortcut if possible.
Thanks in advance for any help!

Junior Member

Follow these steps to change default file open

Open Excel and navigate to the File menu.
Click on Options, then Advanced.
Scroll down until you see General.
Locate the line that says “At startup, open all files in:” Enter the path to an existing folder which you want to use as your default when opening files in Excel. A path looks something like this: C:\Users\username\My documents\Excel.
Hit OK. If needed, restart Excel or your computer for your changes to take place.

I hope this will be helpful!
Tim Paine