Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Using countif on non-consecutive cells

How do I use the countif on non-concecutive cells, i.e. I want to know the
number of certain cells in worksheet that contain a specific value. For
instance, how many cells in a1:a5, a7, a15:a18 contain the value of 1.
--
Marty

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

If you only have a "few" cells to check:

=(A1=1)+(A5=1)+(A7=1)+(A15=1)+(A18=1)

If you have "many" cells to check it depends on the range of numbers that
the cells can contain but you use something like this if the lowest possible
number is the number 1:

=INDEX(FREQUENCY((A1,A5,A7,A15,A18),1),1)

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Marty" wrote in message
How do I use the countif on non-concecutive cells, i.e. I want to know the
number of certain cells in worksheet that contain a specific value. For
instance, how many cells in a1:a5, a7, a15:a18 contain the value of 1.
--
Marty

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

if the lowest possible number is the number 1:
=INDEX(FREQUENCY((A1,A5,A7,A15,A18),1),1)

If the lowest possible number is the number 1 that can be reduced to:

=FREQUENCY((A1,A5,A7,A15,A18),1)

how many cells in a1:a5, a7, a15:a18 contain the value of 1.

Also, due to my poor eyesight I didn't notice that A1:A5 and A15:A18 were
ranges but that doesn't make any difference:

=FREQUENCY((A1:A5,A7,A15:A18),1)

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Marty" wrote in message
How do I use the countif on non-concecutive cells, i.e. I want to know
the
number of certain cells in worksheet that contain a specific value. For
instance, how many cells in a1:a5, a7, a15:a18 contain the value of 1.
--
Marty

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Yes, I can barely see to read anymore late at night!

Sitting in front of a computer monitor all day long is not good for your
eyesight!

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP