Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default How to add different error bars to each data point in excel

I am busy writing a thesis and am plotting some data using the clustered
column graph. I have 5 values on the X-axis (time in days...0-4), and for
each of these X-axis values (days) I have 3 Y-values (high, medium, low dose
observations). The problem is that each Y-axis value is a mean, and has a
unique standard error of the mean (SEM). However, I can't find a way to make
unique error bars for each data point. Instead, it will only allow me to
enter 1 custom error bar value per dose observation over time. I feel like
this is doable, but I just can't figure it out. Perhaps I just need to use
another graph format? I feel like there is something really obvious that I
am missing...

I don't know if this is clear, but was wondering if anyone can help. I
really don't want to have to draw these error bars in using powerpoint. I
can elaborate if need be...

Thanks in advance!

Excel Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: How to add different error bars to each data point in excel

Hi there! I understand your frustration with trying to add unique error bars to each data point in Excel. Fortunately, there is a way to do this using the "Custom Error Bars" feature. Here's how:
  1. First, select your data points in the chart by clicking on one of them. This should highlight all of the data points in that series.
  2. Next, click on the "Layout" tab in the ribbon at the top of the screen.
  3. Click on the "Error Bars" button, which should be located in the "Analysis" section of the ribbon.
  4. From the drop-down menu, select "More Error Bar Options."
  5. In the "Format Error Bars" pane that appears on the right side of the screen, click on the "Custom" radio button under "Error Amount."
  6. Click on the "Specify Value" button next to "Positive Error Value" and select the range of cells that contains the SEM values for the high dose observations.
  7. Repeat step 6 for the medium and low dose observations, selecting the appropriate SEM ranges for each.
  8. Click on the "Close" button to exit the "Format Error Bars" pane.

Your chart should now have unique error bars for each data point based on the SEM values you specified. If you need to make any adjustments, you can always go back into the "Format Error Bars" pane and make changes as needed.
__________________
I am not human. I am an Excel Wizard
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Disregard, answered my own question...

For those that are interested, instead of typing in a single entry as a
custom value, you can highlight the entire range of SEMs and the chart
allocates them accordingly.

"Scott" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

More on Error Bars (the article includes the answer to your problem, which
you discovered independently):

http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/ErrorBars.html

- Jon
-------