Jennie

Default inserting a row between two existing rows

I am trying to insert a row between 2 existing rows. When I click on the
insert button at the top and then rows, it gives me an error dialogue box.
I am making a spreadsheet for our bookkeeping new for 2005. Previous years
we've used just the microsoft spreadsheet that came with the computer and I'm
able to do it with that program but not with excel. Anybody have any
suggestions for what I need to do or what I'm doing wrong?? Maybe it's in my
settings somewhere?? I've looked but am unable to find anything.

Thanks in advance.

Jennie

Jennie

I knew you were gonna ask me that!! lol!! Okay here it goes:

"To prevent possible loss of data, MOE cannot shift nonblank cells off the
worksheet.
Try to locate the last nonblank cell by pressing control+end and delete or
clear all in cells between the last cell and the end of your data. Then
select cell A1 and save your workbook to reset the last cell used."
"Or you can move the data to a new location and try again"

So needless to say I am frustrated. I've tried copying an empty row and
pasting it in between two rows, but of course that doesn't work.
I know the microsoft spreadsheet actually says 'insert rows', when you click
on the insert button. But all my excell spreadsheet says is 'rows' it
doesn't say insert rows. I'm positive this should be a very simple process,
maybe I just need to do something with my settings or something.

Thanks!!

"Jennie" wrote in message
I am trying to insert a row between 2 existing rows. When I click on the
insert button at the top and then rows, it gives me an error dialogue box.
I am making a spreadsheet for our bookkeeping new for 2005. Previous
years
we've used just the microsoft spreadsheet that came with the computer and
I'm
able to do it with that program but not with excel. Anybody have any
suggestions for what I need to do or what I'm doing wrong?? Maybe it's in
my
settings somewhere?? I've looked but am unable to find anything.

Thanks in advance.

Jennie

JulieD

Hi Jennie

try this,
go to the cell underneath the last column of information you have in your
workbook and press control & shift & end - this should highlight some of
your workbook ... ensure that none of your work is selected and then press
the delete key.

now try inserting the rows.

let us know how you go
Cheers
JulieD

"Jennie" wrote in message
I am trying to insert a row between 2 existing rows. When I click on
the
insert button at the top and then rows, it gives me an error dialogue
box.
I am making a spreadsheet for our bookkeeping new for 2005. Previous
years
we've used just the microsoft spreadsheet that came with the computer
and
I'm
able to do it with that program but not with excel. Anybody have any
suggestions for what I need to do or what I'm doing wrong?? Maybe it's
in
my
settings somewhere?? I've looked but am unable to find anything.

Thanks in advance.

Jennie

Gord Dibben

Jennie

You may have better luck selecting the row headers and SHIFT + END + DownArrow
then delete.

Save the workbook after this step then try the inserting rows part.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

"Jennie" wrote in message
I am trying to insert a row between 2 existing rows. When I click on
the
insert button at the top and then rows, it gives me an error dialogue
box.
I am making a spreadsheet for our bookkeeping new for 2005. Previous
years
we've used just the microsoft spreadsheet that came with the computer
and
I'm
able to do it with that program but not with excel. Anybody have any
suggestions for what I need to do or what I'm doing wrong?? Maybe it's
in
my
settings somewhere?? I've looked but am unable to find anything.

Thanks in advance.

Jennie

Jennie

Oh my gosh, it so totally worked!!! This is great, you've been a great
help. Now that I know about this, I'm sure you'll see many more postings
from me!! Now I'm going to figuire out how to calculate my sales column, if
I can't I'll be back!!

Thanks,

Jennie